coop windows??

• 11 Replies

kegs

coop windows??
« on: July 07, 2011, 17:55 »
This is the coop we have which has a window in the door.  I read on another post (I think it was Hillfooter's suggestion) that it would be best if there wasn't a window.

Can someone tell if I should get my husband to block up the window (he's replacing the roof and ladder to get rid of the felt this weekend so it would be an ideal opportunity!), and why a window is a bad idea.

Thank you.

P1020326b.JPG

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: coop windows??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 18:24 »
Hens like to be up and about once they realise the sun is up.  So in the summer they are still inside for a few hours until we get up and let them out.

Having said that my coop has a window and its never been a problem for me!

scarymary

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 20:36 »
I have a similar coop. We have just covered the window with a bit of card (outside of course!) and it seems to do the trick,

Scary

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 21:03 »
(I think it was Hillfooter's suggestion) that it would be best if there wasn't a window.

Thank you.

If Hillfooter says no, then I'd cover it. There is nothing this chicken owner does not know. My coop doesn't have one, and they ain't complaining. Plus, as previously mentioned, it does stop predictors seeing what's for dinner.

Best wishes

Christine
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 21:15 »
some of mine sleep in trees so are awake at 4am, but the others in coops are in the dark and unless the cockerel starts to crow are quite happy having a lie in until 6am  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Spana

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 21:32 »
My big house has window with meld mesh behind along one side.  They go up and down on chains.  In hot weather they are open all day and night time too.  :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 03:38 »
Hillfooter's argument against windows is that chickens don't need to look out, but windows allow predators to look in.

My argument for windows is that they maximise the amount of daylight that is available to the hens so even if you're a bit late letting them out in the morning they still get good daylight hours.

Hillfooter would say you should make an automatic pop-hole opener so that won't be a problem.

I would say we're not all that clever at making mechanical things.  ::)

Hillfooter would say he has posted a thread with full instructions and it's very simple really.

I would say get out of my head, Hillfooter, I'm sick of arguing with you!  >:(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 06:35 »
I agree chickens don't need windows, however to get the maximum amount of light then having windows does help - especially when our days get shorter (or you could put lights in their coops like poultry farmers do to ensure continuous egg production).
Auto pop hole opener or not - I prefer to let my chickens out so I can watch them all first thing and check they are all ok - I open each coop up in turn and watch them all out before going onto the next coop. The only need I would have would be for closing the coop as often I like to go to bed before my chickens are ready.

Spana love the idea of the windows on chains which allows plenty of ventilation - super coop  :D

kegs

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:12 »
Thanks everyone - conflicting yet interesting.

Spana - Wow what a coop and what a wonderful view.  Ask your chickens if they want to swap homes with me??

Lindeggs - that is sooo funny, you really gave me a chuckle  :D  I read Hillfooters pop-hole opener and know exactly what you mean - I don't think my husband could build it and he's an Architect!!

Joyfull - I don't need to increase egg production but I so have one chicken who lays a soft shelled egg every night.  Is it remotely possible that covering the window might prevent her doing this?

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 19:42 »
Ours has a double glazed window, a translucent roof and an automatic pop hole. Spoilt little toads! There is a lid over the perches to give shadow. Access for humans is via a sliding door on the side.
The run is fenced in and there is a second electric fence around this, so there is no problem with predators looking in. The automatic door opens out into the run (where the food and water is) at about 7 all year round. The door closes at dusk. I open the run about 7-15 every day and check that they're all OK about half an hour after the sun goes down when the gates and doors are checked.
They seem quite happy and get to bed without problems. The light makes cleaning easy for me.

ferretkeeper

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 19:58 »
Spana

that hen house - no, make that mansion - is fricking amazing!!!

Where did you get it, or have you made it/adapted it from something else?

How many hens can it accommodate?

That's just what I want so I can put all the chickens up in my field for the summer, inside electric netting and under the watchful eye of my fox-chasing alpacas of course!

I need to give their usual patch a rest but am loathe to move each individual house up there, I'd like to put one big house that stays up there permanently. I say up because we live at the bottom of the Brecons and walking from our house to our field is all uphill!

And ehs284 yours sounds a bit palatial as well, why don't you put a photo on?

My lot live in a random collection of houses, from double decker rabbit (ferret) hutches to 6x4 sheds with relevant holes cut in it!

I must say I have been very disappointed with the houses you can buy, hence I decided to adapt a £90 shed to suit me. The very expensive ones seem to be worse, but I have problems with doors sticking, bad access for cleaning, T&G and felt roofs for mites to hide in, the list goes on! And most have windows or mesh which did indeed wake them at 5am this morning, terrific!

I need to treat my girls and boy to a nice summer residence, any suggestions? I have about 20 fully grown chickens with another 15 coming on and 15 more just hatched, so ideally something to take the lot!

Spana

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 20:05 »
Spana

that hen house - Where did you get it, or have you made it/adapted it from something else?

How many hens can it accommodate?

!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My lovely father in law built it 75 years ago for his 25 RIR's.  Its been in use all that time.  :happy:

xx
Windows

Started by Zak the Rabbit on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2007, 22:28
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
Which coop?

Started by Mulberry1990 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 10:42
by Vecten
xx
Got my coop - what next?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 11:50
by Craig69
xx
who to buy your coop from

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

34 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 19:03
by Bogof

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 34 queries.