wheels are in motion

• 10 Replies

yorkshirerose

wheels are in motion
« on: August 06, 2007, 18:50 »
:D Well today ordered the shed - just hop its going to be big enoough for those 10 chickens :?
Its a lovely 6'x6' t&g with a nice big window in - so plenty of light.
Price includes delivery, putting up and vat. But because the garden hasnt been done yet we have decided to erect the shed ourselves - hubby was a joiner years ago.
So now things are starting to move and looking forward to getting the chooks - yippeeeee. :D  :D
Live every day as your last - enjoy life and smile.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
wheels are in motion
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 21:18 »
Don't forget to raise it when you site it leave a nice gap underneath to deter the vermin.
Your shed sounds big enough to me, are you free ranging or are you having a run for them ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

yorkshirerose

wheels are in motion
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 08:51 »
Yes we have some nice big sleepers to raise it and they shall have quite a good chunk of our garden, which shall be fenced - but to be honest Im sure they will be out of that as we have a nice large field at side of our house where they can free range.
The shed will be next to an old apple tree, which will provide plenty of shelter from the hot sun - though the shed will too - ooh Im soooo excited.
Shall let you know how it all goes. :D  :D
I have been reading posts on here and learnt quite a good bit - advice is great - better than any book.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
wheels are in motion
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 14:03 »
Sounds like you have it well sussed out, all we need now is some pics when you get them.  :wink:  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
wheels are in motion
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 15:36 »
That's right  8)

yorkshirerose

wheels are in motion
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 17:01 »
Well we have the 6x6 shed up and now all we need to do is get the pophole put in or do I need more than one ?  Looking at the door of the shed , the window is on the right side of the shed and we are looking at putting pophole on the left side as the run will be on the left.
Can anyone advise us where abouts to put the perches please ? Was wondering if to make like a frame of perches - so as to easily take out to clean, etc;
Have decided to use some plastic water carriers which have been cut down the length in half - will they be suitable ? ( approx 1ft x1ft ). Thought it be easier to clean  then wooden nest boxes.
Found that the shed has a fixed window so would boring some holes into the sides of the shed do for ventilation ? If so how high /lowest ?
I want this shed to be ready before getting the chooks. Thanks.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
wheels are in motion
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 19:24 »
Just one pop hole will be fine, Good idea to make the perches removable you can then get at the mites that will hide under them. My perch is about 3' off the floor but they get a ladder to get up  :roll:  as I didn't want them hurting there feet getting up and down read about bumble foot somewhere.
Good idea about the nest boxes.
I personally would put the ventilation holes up high, this will allow air flow without causing drafts and also hot air rises so it will help get rid in the summer.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
wheels are in motion
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 19:37 »
Bumble foot is horrible  my pet rat had it, I used Calendula (marigold ointment) from Health Food Shop

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
wheels are in motion
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 19:44 »
Quote from: "slowef"
Bumble foot is horrible  my pet rat had it, I used Calendula (marigold ointment) from Health Food Shop

Never seen it Slowef but did the ointment work ok ?

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
wheels are in motion
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 22:00 »
Yes its not a quick fix but it helps a lot, I don't think it is ever completely cured though.  Its like a lump or sore and swollen, I think animals kept on wire or nasty surfaces get it, don't know why Zak did

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
wheels are in motion
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 22:20 »
Think it's also caused in hens by them landing to hard after dropping down from to high ?

xx
Chookhouse on wheels

Started by Zak the Rabbit on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 28, 2007, 19:24
by muntjac

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 32 queries.