cost of keeping chickens?

• 59 Replies

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« on: August 04, 2007, 15:31 »
Hi Folks
so can I ask a rather nuts and bolts question.

What does it actually cost do you think to keep a chicken per year?

Obviously there are lots of variables like them giving eggs, but I would like to have an idea of costs before I definately decide on how many to have.

I am on a tight budget so would like to keep costs as low as poss but I do not want to in any way reduce the chickens health or wellbeing.

Thanks Andrea x
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 15:56 »
ok ferget all the fancy stuff you see in magazines n rubbish lke that , you need a decent roof on a shed . a run if you dont want em free ranging ,,,,,,6 welsummers are my choice  now feeding them chicken mash and barley is about £ 4 stone sack mash ---2 4 stone bags barley. £6 . sack oestra oyster shell £7  grit from cleggys beach washed out well with a running hose , free...... total cost not including birds approx £20 for 6 months . free feeding greens  and any other stuff you can find in hedgerows etc  and kitchen scraps ,not including any meat by products, . tub garlic powder from health shop £4 .return from 6 birds per week on eggs approx  24 , free range cost of 2 doz eggs £6? per week .
 i dont have vet bills ,if its sick enough to see vet its ferret food .or chicken burgers :wink:

other thoughts welcome
still alive /............

cherrypie

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:34 »
i've only had my chucks since April, and i'm not quite as laid back as muntjac -yet.....i would say i spend under £10 a month on pellets i could probably buy in bulk and do it for a lot less, but to counteract the cost i used to spend about that a month on eggs, not all my chucks are laying yet.
i have one white sussex bantam who lays about 5 eggs a week, 2 sussex chicken chicks 1 barnevelder chick and on buff orpington chick. i'm expecting the chicks to  start laying in september, then i'll be able to sell eggs to neighbours. (but actually i'm not planning on doing that for profit)

i'd say the biggest expence is buying/building a coup/shed and enclosure and that could be done for very little if you have the time energy and know how or several hundred pounds depending on how far you want to go.
hope that helps a little
cherrypie

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 17:50 »
interesting stuff this

I am wondering what can I collect from the hegerow that the chickens can and will want to eat?  Muntjac you mentioned collecting greens and it sounds like something I would be able to do given some idea of what is safe to feed em?

also will the chickens scoff table scraps happily as well as their basic diet?  I know to avoid oily fish.

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 19:27 »
Hi Chicky chick
I have had  3  Black Rocks for around 2 months now and once I got over the expense of building them a secure pen and building a house the cost of feeding and keeping them in good health is minimal.  I have found a local farmer to me who keeps chickens, he is king enough to sell me layers mash at around £3 a sack and a mixed treat with oyster shell and grit for  around the same, I also get straw and sawdust from him in 'bulk' as it costs him pennies and is happy to let me have some.  So shop around and avoid paying out too much for these basics.  Its important they get thier daily layers mash (or pellets) oyster shell, grit and fresh water daily. Supplement this with greens which can be garden weeds or kitchen scraps. You will be rewarded with lots of eggs and some happy chooks!

Regarding housing if you can build your own, the ready made chicken houses are very expensive!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 19:28 »
Table scraps only as afternoon occasional treats in my opinion.  Stick to their chicken feed (whatever system you choose) and oyster/grit and greens !

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 00:08 »
but no meat .... take any dandelions from pathways  not from roadsides  also make sure that dogs dont get to use the lane as a crapalley.   a book on common wild plants can help greatly if humans can eat it most of the animals / birds can

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 09:32 »
Thanks for that I will have a look online for slef suficiency and food from the hedgerow type of stuff to give me a plan of what to gather..then all I have to do is get em to scoff it :D

I am suprised that I shouldnt feed em meat??? Is fish ok apart from oily fish.  What about cooked rice or pasta type of stuff if it is table scraps?

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 09:50 »
i rest my case ur honour ............ :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 17:18 »
Quote from: "chickychick"
I am suprised that I shouldnt feed em meat??? Is fish ok apart from oily fish.  What about cooked rice or pasta type of stuff if it is table scraps?

Meat is banned by DEFRA due to the risk of transmission if dieases eg BSE (vCJD).  Oily fish can hinder calcium uptake other fish is fine.

Cooked rice and pasta will give them very little nutritional value other than cargohydrate which will make them fat and fat hens don't lay !  In my opinion the more scraps you give them the more they become junk food junkies and the less of their regular (good for them), egg making food they will eat !

As Munty says chooks should eat chook food :D

Contadino

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 17:32 »
I buy 25kg sacks of layers grain for EUR 9 a time, and bran at 20 centesimi a kilo.  5kg of bran and a sack of grain lasts them (9 of em) a month.  Each time we sell some eggs to friends/neighbours we put the money in a jar, and there's always enough in the jar when we come to buy food.

All their other food comes from the garden so if effectively free.  I'd say that chooks can easily be self-funding.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
Re: cost of keeping chickens?
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 20:56 »
Has anyone got any updated information on this topic based on latest prices?  Hard info rather than anecdotes would be appreciated i.e. Is there a profit to be made from keeping one laying chicken for one week.  How much for the food for one week buying in reasonably large quantities (25Kg bags), what food is needed? How many eggs per week in ideal condittions would one expect 5 or 6?
No I haven't got any yet but am looking at buying some.
Thanks in anticipation.
John

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 08:33 »
It's setting up that costs (coop and run). Running costs are minimal.

I have four hens and they eat approx 5kg feed a week (prob a little less). I pay £6 per 20kg sack of pellets/mash, ie a month's supply of feed.

Mixed grit is the same price, but a sack lasts for ever.

After that, it depends how you want to keep them clean, what bedding you use, what disinfectant you use ... plus a small supply of first aid (purple spray etc) ... but it can all be done relatively cheaply. And if you can get supplies locally, so as not to pay postage, it's cheaper still. Around here, it's better to pay an extra £1 or 2 for a bag of feed, rather than £6 postage!

But setting up ... well, you can spend a fortune!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

mintymoos

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 09:12 »
hi, just seen the post about not feeding chooks meat, i don`t, but a few weeks ago my light sussex scoffed some cat food i`d put down for our tom cat, will she be ok, and can we still eat her eggs?  am feeling very worried now :ohmy:, mel  :ohmy:
someone keeps stealing time when i`m not looking.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 09:43 »
Right just worked it out with OH . Had my girls one year

Ive got 12 birds @ £7  =   84.00
Pellets @ £8                 =   54.00
Corn    @ £8                 =   24.00
Medication                    =   20.00
Rat poison                    =   20.00
Straw                            =  12.00

TOTAL                                £210

Offset
 Sold eggs                           100.00
never bought an egg           100.00

Total                                  £200

So its cost me just £10 for a year of one great pastime + some heartbreak at times
Pleased I did this makes me feel goooooooooooood  :D  :D  :D
wish I was a cat

xx
cost to feed chickens?

Started by vichope74 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 11:21
by joyfull
xx
how do i go about keeping chickens?

Started by drmoonshine on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 23:29
by hillfooter
xx
new to keeping chickens

Started by Sue33 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 11:26
by matilda duck
xx
keeping chickens

Started by tomtomgo44 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 10:10
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 32 queries.