Can anyone tell me about White Star hen characteristics?

• 5 Replies

westie

• Experienced Member
Can anyone tell me about White Star hen characteristics?
« on: September 20, 2010, 21:00 »
Could anyone tell me what White Star hens are like to keep?
Would they be happy kept in an enclosure or are they happier free-ranginging?
I already have a Welsummer and a coppery-brown hybrid (can't remember what sort!)

I want to get a couple of araucanas too. Would they mix well with the white stars?
And what about Orpington Bantams and Pekins? There are so many types I'd love to have, just not enough room!

I'd like to have a mix of types of egg as well as different characters in the hen run, but am a bit concerned that white stars are like leghorns and are flighty and not very tameable.
We had a leghorn originally, but had to rehome her to a farm - she kept flying up to the conservatory roof and also mercilessly pecked the Welsummer.
Any suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 22:06 by westie »

Totty

Re: White Star hen characteristics
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 21:09 »
We have a mixture including two white stars, one gold orpington, one jersey giant and a black silky who rules the roost. The stars were quite flighty to start with but have now calmed down and lay lovely white eggs.

Totty

orchardlady

Re: Can anyone tell me about White Star hen characteristics?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 22:42 »
I've kept White Stars over the years and currently have two. They free range so I cannot comment on how they would live in an enclosure. Yes I would agree they are a bit flighty but will calm with maturity. They seem to be even tempered little gals. Just a word of warning about Araucanas. They are the most flighty breed I've ever come accross and not easily tamable. If you want a blue egg layer there are variouse hybrid that will do the job for you but I must say the Araucana eggs were certainly the brightes blue I've ever seen.

Happy hen keeping I hope you find the right birds. :)

sunshinemedic

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:10 »
I've had White Stars for 3 years now. They were the flightiest girls for the first few months but are now amongst the most friendly. I have no doubt that they love to free range but that is unfortunately not an option fo my hens with the fox activity here, that being said the White Stars have settled nicely into life in the enclosure.

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 17:24 »
We've had our White Star for two years now and she really is the most lovely hen! She can be jumpy, but absolutely loves a cuddle and will actually start to nod off in your arms she's so content!

We also have an Araucana chick who is very friendly, but very active! We also have a hybrid blue egg layer, who lays lovely blue eggs and doesn't mind too much about being handled  :nowink:

Hope it helps!
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

westie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 11:43 »
Thank you for your help.
It all ties in with what I'd read about them.
I had an araucana as one of my first hens and she was such a lovely little bird, that I had no idea they could be difficult! I haven't been put off though and think I'll definitely go and get some white stars and an araucana :)
It's so exciting!!

xx
white star /leghorn

Started by amj on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 12:23
by viettaclark
xx
How do i catch my white star

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 16:09
by Sassy
xx
White star not laying...

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2010, 13:54
by Sadgit
xx
white star /leghorn

Started by amj on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 09:51
by amj

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 34 queries.