Re-housing 'Darkie'

• 2 Replies

Luther

Re-housing 'Darkie'
« on: March 25, 2007, 08:20 »
I recently lost another one of my Warrens, which now leaves me with one, from the original batch of 4 Warrens I purchased 3 years ago, when I started keeping chickens. The lone Warren, who is known as 'Darkie' now occupies a large ark on her own, and I have been thinking of putting her in with a group of 4 Welbars, who are younger birds (1 year). This will give her some company, and will free up some space to enable me to get some new birds, which I could keep in 'Darkie's' vacated ark.
I don't know how 'Darkie' will take to this, but she seems to get on with the Welbars, when out and about on the plot. However, 'sharing a bed' may be a different matter, and I suspect 'Darkie' might start bullying them. Has anyone got any experience of a similar situation.
Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere, that you should let a certain period of time elapse before rehousing birds in an ark, previously occupied by other birds?? Is this true, or should I just clean it thoroughly before introducing the new birds.

muntjac

Re-housing 'Darkie'
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:42 »
stick em up close for a week in the ark etc with the wire intween em. then shove her in the shed with them all day with the door closed . no arguing ur fine .chances are she wil be come the boss being an older bird
still alive /............

Luther

Re-housing 'Darkie'
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 22:41 »
Thanks for that Mate.

Put her in yesterday afternoon with the others. The arks are all positioned side by side in any case so they can always see eachother. She survived the night, and all seems well. Now have the luxury of choosing some new birds...........might even try hatching some out.

xx
hen housing

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 21:20
by raeburg
xx
Hen housing

Started by pmw on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:58
by pmw
xx
Housing what is recommended?

Started by fallen angel on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 10:20
by Sassy
xx
Housing Bedding

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 22:30
by xhappychickx

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 32 queries.