Chicken Run - Plans

• 13 Replies

lamina

Chicken Run - Plans
« on: March 09, 2009, 12:34 »
Hi, we decided a couple of months ago to keep either chickens or bees (or maybe both).  We have a largish garden and I have 'ordered' 4 Welsummer pullets from a local breeder which are due to be with us in late May/early June.   I have read everything I can 'lay' my hands on about keeping chickens and have visited three chicken enthusiasts. 
I would like to keep the hens in a semi-wooded part of our garden which has mature trees, shrubs and grass.  I do not want to enclose this area in a wire mesh 'cage' which I think would be unsightly - BUT I may have to depending upon advice.
My plans are as follows:
The periphery of the area (total area about 40 square metres) would be enclosed in 18"- 24" high wire mesh (not chicken wire) with a further 12" below ground and a 12" skirt, held upright by fence posts.
In the centre of the area would be an 8-9 foot pole from which emanate wooden spokes down to the fence posts.  The spokes would have 2mm holes roughly 2" apart along their entire length through which passes 1mm steel wire - forming a sort of spiders web.  There would be additional spokes made of 1mm wire to ensure that the circumferential wires could not be separated.  The steel wire would be tensioned throughout.
There would be a door about 6' tall somewhere round the periphery  and the coop would be inset in part of a pre-existing pergola.  The shrubs, bushes and trees could continue to grow through the structure and it would become almost invisible.

Foxes could not burrow and there would be nothing for them to get a hold on, nothing to clamber up  - as far as I can see anyway.

Any comments about this plan would be most appreciated, particularly with regard to fox proofing.

Regards
Richard

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Chicken Run - Plans
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 13:08 »
8-9 foot high should be okay to keep foxes out, but if they can get over a neighbouring wall, they might be able to climb.
plus, i was advised about protecting from birds of prey - that might not affect you because we're in the countryside.
i would still put some more protection on the roof. or at least have a "skirt" at the top as well as the bottom.

the mesh we all refer to is 19gauge weldmesh - the 19 gauge refers to the thickness of the wire and really is a minimum.  The holes in the mesh should be 1cm square.
the reason we have such small holes is that if there is a fox and the chickens get scared, they're tempted to put their heads through a large hole and get it bitten off.

check out the fox-proofing thread at the top of this board: it's got lots of info in it!

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 13:19 »
Hi lamina. Welcome.

Have you considered electric fencing as an option ?

From your description, are having the 'web' sloping from the 8' centre pole down to the 2' perimeter fence ?

It sounds an awful lot of hard work, albeit very well thought out.

If you can maange a sketch and photograph it, then post up, it might help.

Rob 8)

lamina

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 13:26 »
Hi- Many thanks for the swift responses.  I shall indeed make the mesh less than 1" square to prevent Henrietta etc., getting their heads bitten off.  There are no walls anywhere near this area and I had thought about electric fencing but its costs too much ( I was tempted to investigate making my own unit - I'm a bit like that :-)  ) and we have dogs and I am certain that we'd forget to turn it on :-(
As for a lot of work - probably - but I use to enjoy embroidery as a young man ( hmmm) and macrame has always appealed :-)
I will endeavour to conjure up a sketch or photo - the web is indeed sloping downfrom ann 8' pole to the 2' fence.
I have read all the fox-proofing ideas on the sticky but none seem appropriate for my budget (almost zero) and the particular area I would like to keep Annabele in chicken heaven :-))
Richard

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 13:28 »
It does sound rather lovely -if you looked from above that would be looking down onto the spiders web effect, therefore protecting the roof of the run. I guess the sides would be as high as the roof? So in effect 8 -9'?
Looking forward to seeing it finished. In theory I cant see much of a probelm with the fox -as long as the wire is tensioned enough and doesn't slacken. :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 13:40 »
I've had a go at embroidery myself in my time (wasn't much good :() and did look into macrame so you're not alone but certainly good practice for what you have in mind.

I can imagine a fox trying to figure out a way of getting in. Should keep them amused for hours  ::)   ...some excellent photo opportunities. :)

ROb 8)

lamina

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 13:45 »
Hahahah - great - I can see a complete TV program coming from this - I shall get my lawyers to speak to yours and agree a profits split on the idea  :unsure:

I too was never much good at embroidery, in fact I've yet to find something that I AM good at - and time is running out  8)

Richard

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 13:51 »
I'm now hoping I can grow a full crop of soemthing this year. If I get a string of onions I'll consider myself a gardener  :)

Poultry keeping can be surprisingly time consuming. All that standing and watchign, and then you have to come on here and talk about them. You won't need any other hobbies.

Speaking of which. Must go and clean ours out and then dig some weeds out of the borders.

ROb

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 13:52 »
ps. Whereabouts are you Richard ?

You can put your location in your profile.

Rob

lamina

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 13:53 »
Hi Rob,
We live near Tunbridge Wells and I shall update my profile when I have a mo  :)

Richard

too many girls

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 14:55 »
hope your plans go to plan, i got lost somewhere in the spiders web,
 er you look a bit like Dickie Davies to me :wub:

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 16:00 »
 :lol: :D

Des Lynam would be horrified TMG !!!  :D

Rob 8)

lamina

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 16:57 »
Well it was either the delightful Des or the Professor from "Back to the Future" - I have been mistaken for both - but I guess any anecdotes are a bit OT  :ohmy:

too many girls

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 17:01 »

Des Lynam would be horrified TMG !!! 
  well him as well, i knew it was someone from football or something :tongue2:

xx
CHICKEN ARK PLANS

Started by benkelway on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 07:45
by lisa80
xx
Chicken Plans

Started by Heltor Chasca on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 20:14
by Heltor Chasca
xx
Plans for Chicken House and run

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2007, 11:14
by rugbymad40
xx
Chicken coop plans

Started by Togger on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 06:50
by joyfull

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 32 queries.