stockholm tar

• 26 Replies

R66VEY

• Experienced Member
stockholm tar
« on: August 04, 2008, 19:42 »
i just got some today to stop my chickens pecking at each other !!havin 5 died already frm pecking any1 else tryed this or used it??

too many girls

stockholm tar
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 23:33 »
sorry i've never used it, (not on chooks anyway) but i was thinking about it for one of mine, i'll be interested to see what others say about it.

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
stockholm tar
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:53 »
I bought some spray on stockholme tar as one of my girls was getting pecked and it seems to have stopped anyone else having a go at her.  The only problem is it stinks.  :lol:
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
stockholm tar
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:20 »
only ever used it for horses feet!!!
quite an intersting concept using to stop pecking

Bodger

stockholm tar
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 13:01 »
I use purple spray on chicks to hide wounds from featherpecking chickens.

Dependant on the age of the birds, I still have clip on spectacles in abundance.

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
stockholm tar
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 17:20 »
Bodger I tried the purple spray on this hen first and she was ok for a day or so but then (I think) the cockerel took a dislike to her purple appearance and made real mess of her.  I brought her home for some tlc and some peace and quiet and all has been well since I sprayed her again with the tar.  Fingers crossed that is.  :)

This poor little girl has no friends  :(  everyone seems to pick on her so I keep hoping she will go broody then she can have a family of her own she is a silkie after all.

mercury

stockholm tar
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 20:00 »
I've used it for years, messy and smelly, but effective, would'nt use owt else :)  :)

R66VEY

• Experienced Member
stockholm tar
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 20:23 »
i got the spray one .do i just pick the hen an spray its bum!?

lellysmum

stockholm tar
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 22:16 »
i have tried the tar on one of my girls very messy job and it stinks and sad to say it didn't work - i have tried purple spray, tar, anti peck spray and none of it worked  :(  - i hope you have better luck - the advice i got was to fit a bit on the peckers beak -

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
stockholm tar
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 22:20 »
I've used stockholm tar spray on a chooks bum.  My advice is - wear a bin bag and rubber gloves.   :wink:

too many girls

stockholm tar
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 22:36 »
we've just put stockholm tar on Lonely Aunty, unfortunately you were bit late with the advice about the gloves and bin liner for us, pip held her while i painted it on her back and the tops of her wings with a small paintbrush, Lonely was not best pleased, true to form she went ballistic, after some considerable flapping and leaping about on her part we were covered in it, we went to the horse trough to try and wash it off but only succeeded in rubbing it in and making it worse, i stink, pip stinks, Lonely is miserable, and there's stockholm tar all over the tack room, god but i hope after all that it works, not just for our sakes but Lonely's.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
stockholm tar
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 08:25 »
:shock: Nightmare TMG  :(

Roughlee Handled

stockholm tar
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
we've just put stockholm tar on Lonely Aunty, unfortunately you were bit late with the advice about the gloves and bin liner for us, pip held her while i painted it on her back and the tops of her wings with a small paintbrush, Lonely was not best pleased, true to form she went ballistic, after some considerable flapping and leaping about on her part we were covered in it, we went to the horse trough to try and wash it off but only succeeded in rubbing it in and making it worse, i stink, pip stinks, Lonely is miserable, and there's stockholm tar all over the tack room, god but i hope after all that it works, not just for our sakes but Lonely's.

TMG you never seam to have an "easy ride"  It makes me smile though. :twisted:
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
stockholm tar
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 10:12 »
pmsl TMG i have visions of you coverd in the stuff now leaping into the trough. :lol:  

thanks made my day i can be happy and smile now even tho ive got the kids at home  promised them a shopping trip out of town and need to clean dd3s room ready for sleepover tonight birthday tomoz and take dd2 to docs....
TMG keep em coming hun :oops:  :)  :)

too many girls

stockholm tar
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 20:15 »
well, could things get any worse i ask myself, the stockholm tar hasn't worked, the others are still picking on Lo and to make matters worse she's pecking herself too, pip brought her in to the kitchen for a closer inspection, we plonked her on the table (this would have the ex oh muttering about germs and reaching for the antibacterial multi surface cleaner) her back is really quite bad, we tried to get most of the tar off without making her any worse, impossible, i don't want to put anything else on her back in case it reacts with the tar, she's not speaking to us any more and i can't really blame her, when i put her on the floor (more hygenic) she legged it down the hall, i caught up with her in the bathroom. i've now pinched my dad's sheep hurdles to make a pen for her and the dog kennel for a house, we've constructed it next to the hen house so she can still be around the others but they can't attack her, for those of you who remember the Big Brother hen house versus the cow shed girls, Lonely's now in the diary room, after all, that's where they all go and cry when they get picked on...........................

xx
Stockholm tar

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

34 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 20:37
by bluemaran
xx
stockholm tar

Started by NUMBER27 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 22:18
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Diluting Stockholm Tar

Started by SarahJC on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 12:18
by darkbrowneggs

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 33 queries.