disfigured chicken. what to do.

• 16 Replies

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« on: March 12, 2008, 14:33 »
Hi all. As posted I picked up my first ever chickens last week, and on friday i collected 3 more warrens from Mr. Welshegg. His attitude was particularly ignorant and he wouldn't let me choose my birds, just threw 3 in a box. When I checked them this morning, one has a crooked upper beak, it is not aligned with its bottom beak. Anyone seen this before? I,ll try to get some pics.

Bodger

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 15:11 »
Depending how out of line the beak is, its a duffy ! This is usually a birth defect.
I cull all cross beaked chicks as soon as  I see them.
With regard to this particular bird, it depends on how out of line the beak is. If its really bad, then it might hinder its feeding and stop it from thriving. This will certainly be the case if you feed them grain or pellets. It could be likened to you trying to pick up a marble with a pair of knitting needles. Some of these chicken producers may only feed their birds on mash, in which case, this bird would not have been nearly as handicapped.

I'd take it back and demand a replacement.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 17:42 »
how old is she. when i collected my first ex batts over a year back, 'chicken chicken' had a very odd looking top beak. but she's thriving and has now a pretty beak.

is she managing to eat well?

Bodger

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 17:55 »
babe.
Most battery chickens are debeaked, to try and deter canibalism in the cramped and confined conditions that exist in battery farming. There will be some natural growth given time, but unfortunately what Upthetump is referring to is a deformity which wont rectify itself. :cry:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 17:57 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
babe.
Most battery chickens are debeaked, to try and deter canibalism in the cramped and confined conditions that exist in battery farming. There will be some natural growth given time, but unfortunately what Upthetump is referring to is a deformity which wont rectify itself. :cry:

can we still wait for pics first, just to make sure.  :(   pleeeeese

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 19:39 »
Daft question time, do chickens beaks grow continually, like other animals claws and our nails ?

Claire

Bodger

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 23:03 »
Only the very tips, if they are cut back too far, thats it.

naturesparadise

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 23:06 »
i for one would report this person to the RSPCA  as it sounds like he is not interested in the well being of his chickens

or have i misunderstood the post

Bodger

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 23:35 »
I think the chicken has been born with a deformed cross beak and is certainly not a case for the RSPCA, who by the way are a charity and have no more powers than you and I.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:04 »
Morning all, shes about 16 weeks old and not an ex batt, although he does supply battery eggs to the local market. She is feeding and drinking ok, they have a grassy run and I'm supplementing them with growers pellets (organic). One of the other allotmenters thinks she'll be ok but I value your advice. I took pics, how do i upload them?

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 10:17 »
sorry the rspaca have now got powers backed by the law ...... duty of care to animals covers this
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/affect.htm
still alive /............

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:28 »
Quote from: "upthetump"
Morning all, shes about 16 weeks old and not an ex batt, although he does supply battery eggs to the local market. She is feeding and drinking ok, they have a grassy run and I'm supplementing them with growers pellets (organic). One of the other allotmenters thinks she'll be ok but I value your advice. I took pics, how do i upload them?

this will talk you through putting pictures up.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=100026#100026

if she's eating and drinking ok and is a happy chook, then i see no reason to cull her. i would always see that as a very last resort.

but im a softy

Bodger

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31 »
If you read this.

However, the law (like most laws) is a ‘common informer’s Act’. This means that anyone is allowed to bring a prosecution for an offence. In practice, as now, the RSPCA intends to investigate many offences relating to animal cruelty or welfare of domestic animals, and in some cases farmed animals, and bring prosecutions where appropriate. However, the RSPCA does not have formal enforcement powers such as power of entry or the power to seize documents. For more information,

This is entirely within keeping with what I said, in as much as the RSPCA has no more powers than the person in the street with regard to the investigation and proecution of any alledged offences of animal cruelty.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 14:28 »
It sounds as if the supplier sold you one of the birds he had "prepared" for a life in a battery cage.  In which case you have rescued her, just very early  :wink:

Your picture will tell !

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 18:41 »
fully agree with ya bodger 0ld chap but with the law behind them they can prosecute is what i meant :wink:

xx
disfigured chicken. finally a photo

Started by upthetump on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 09:20
by upthetump
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken not well

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 17:54
by woodside farm
question
Chicken poo

Started by broody on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 08:03
by CattinJ

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 33 queries.