How long do hens lay for?

• 15 Replies

Oliveview

« on: March 09, 2008, 13:15 »
Our older girls have been laying now for around 11-12 months and the younger ones around 5 months.  I was getting 5 eggs a day once they were all laying, it is now 4, sometimes 3.  We have noticed a big difference in the sizes of the eggs, they are getting smaller- does this happen as they get older?  At the beginning we had big eggs.
If they stop laying do they come back into lay or is that it?  I know there is probably this answer somewhere in this hen page, but my internet access is so S_L_O_W it keeps shutting down :(  Still, better than nowt. So sorry for asking and not surfing to find the answer :oops:
Thanks
Pamela

Vember

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 13:56 »
Egg productivity diminishes after the first year. It is still good the second year, but then declines rapidly.  
At about three or four years, production is not very efficient. Most commercial and farm hens are culled after their second season of laying.  

Most chicken breeds start laying small eggs around 6-7 months of age. They will continue to lay well for about 2 years, then they start to taper off,...might lay 3 eggs a week then 2. Most farm people do not keep laying hens beyond 2-3 years..they go into the pot. But if you plan on these being pets...well, as long as you're willing to keep feeding them.....

Found these 2 snippets whilst looking around. :)

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 14:23 »
Thanks Vember.  I was trying to look through the hen house pages and this stupid pc just shut down :(
Pamela

Vember

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 14:43 »
Aunt Sally
Naughty Step Keeper (Site Admin)

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old age in chickens is very variable. If she is getting thinner but is eating then she is obviously not absorbing nutrients well. If she is a 3-4 year old egg laying machine then seh may be at the end of her life Some pure breds who lay far fewer eggs can live for 7+ years.

When you pick her up to inspect her dose she seem to have a bloated tummy (below the vent). This could indicate internal problems such as egg peritonitis.

Do let us know how she is !

Found this from Aunt Sally :)

Oliveview

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 15:02 »
Vember, do you think my Chihuahua and your Siamese cat can be friends?  Both handsome animals :D  (pictures with name) :D
Pamela

Vember

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 15:33 »
Absolutely  :lol:  My "real" Siamese loves Chihuahuas had one as a friend for while :) :lol:

Oliveview

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 16:17 »
Our Chihuahua Barney was just like my picture, he was the best dog ever. Sadly he was killed by a Bull Mastif just over 6 weeks ago.  Where we used to live there was a white cat that used to ambush Barney as we walked past the house, Barney was desperate to play with the cat, but the cat would have none of it! She just liked to tease Barney.
Pamela

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 16:39 »
Thats interesting - are your hens hybrids or pure bred?
Hybrids lay like made for their first season ie: in their first year - then moult (at this time commercial breeders will sell or slaughter) then egg production is much lower however, I believe the eggs may actually be larger-my neighbour has ex-barn warrens and has found this. Each hen has a set amount of potential "eggs" and the more they lay the less they are - so intense laying means they use up their"egg ovas". Pure breds aren't so intensive so this is why they lay for longer and some will lay a few through winter months. One thing to check would be their diet -are you feeding enough protein or perhaps they need a bit more calcium. Also too many treats may affect laying or I would thimk quality of the eggs. Also the reproductive system can take awhile to kickstart after a period of not laying - at this stage you often see the odd shapes and sizes until things settle down! :wink:

Vember

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 16:44 »
Sorry about Barney that's horrible  :cry: :cry:  

You must still miss him like mad, we lost a cat last October and it still hurts, sometimes I feel the best get taken soonest?? We have other animals but not like him. He was 1 in a million  :cry:

Oliveview

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 18:02 »
I have noticed a few feathers laying about, didn´t occur to me they might be moulting :oops:
Pamela (who is feeling a tad stupid :idea: )

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 18:15 »
Feathers? Oh could they be broody???? :lol:  :lol: Hens dont lay when broody, and whats the weather like in Spain? Could do with a break!! :lol:  :lol:

Vember

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 18:36 »
:oops:  :oops: I neva thought of moulting either  :oops:  :oops:

Oliveview

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 18:48 »
A week ago we had morning temperatures around 9-11 deg and afternoon temp mid 20´s.  Last week we were back to 3-4 deg in the morning and around 15 deg in the afternoons, maybe a tad more out of the wind.  Earlier on last week there was a really ICY wind and I mean ICY :shock:  It was a bit of a shock I can tell you!  We are due cloud/sun for the next few days.  This morning was nice (tshirt weather) then the cloud came over so I had to stick my fleece on. It´s cos I said we did not need to light the fire any more in the evening  this winter/spring- me and my big mouth :lol:  We had some rain just over a week ago, we need more though. Not as much as you are due though.  We had 125ltrs per sq mtr  in less than 24 hours last Nov and lost some of the house foundations :shock:   All fine (hopefully) now :D
Pamela

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 19:17 »
wow Oliveview - sounds like a bit of everything going on there! Wouldnt be surprised if your chooks are a bit confused :shock:
So sorry about all your rain, must have been hard. :?

chickenman2012

Re: How long do hens lay for?
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 17:24 »
hi have had chickens i was 14 years old and now i an 40? and my chickens i got one of them is 13 years old and she is still laying eggs some people say 3 years thay or no good do not give me *  that if you feed the right food the chicken will lay eggs for years okay phil

Found these 2 snippets whilst looking around. :)
[/quote]

xx
How long before new hens accepted

Started by sue anne on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 10:56
by sue anne
xx
how long before adding new hens?

Started by organicbeanful on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 00:45
by Craigx
xx
Hens Broody for too long??

Started by Helen-Mary on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 11:06
by Jellyhead
xx
How long do hens live ?

Started by RobinL on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 09:02
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 33 queries.