They're laying again! or not as the case may be!!

• 49 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: They're laying again!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 14:48 »
We have ex-batts and they laid enough for our use and some to give away all through winter. The 'backyard' hens and Shumens stop laying to moult and are just started to lay again. We have had temperatures down to -18, daytime -7. Good girls.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 20:02 »
warrens and other hens that have been bred to be good layers will lay most days for 2-3 years but they generally dont live much longer after that (you do get the odd one who will live to 5 but the majority dont). Pure breeds and those that are first crosses will often stop laying in their 2nd winter - however they will continue to lay for a lot more years. All hens tend to lay the same amount of eggs it's just that some lay less per year.
Staffies are softer than you think.

tosca100

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 03:27 »
But they're such cheerful little souls and a short time with us after their first home is surely good.

joyfull

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 07:47 »
oh I agree Tosca, I collected 4 ex bats last Saturday. These are now in quarantine before being integrated with the rest of my girls. I am looking forward to them getting their new feathers and their floppy pink combs getting redder and upright.

tosca100

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 11:13 »
I know I'm soppy, but each milestone makes me misty eyed. And I was watching one which was absolutely evil to the others, bald and very pale with a large, pale pink frostbitten comb, wouldn't let them eat and kept jumping on them really nastily. So bad OH thought he would have to 'intervene' but she is a sweetheart now

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 07:47 »
Foggy's new girls Mabel and Minnie have been laying for a few weeks now and they seem to be inspiring the others  :)  Patsy and Eddie have laid a few each and even Miss bossy boots Beyoncé graced us with an egg yesterday   :D

Alphie's girls are getting a bit old now, but we might get a few more eggs yet.  He's full of the joys of spring even if they aren't.  He's chasing them round now  :lol:

LizzieD

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 19:30 »
Hello folks, I need your help. I have 3, a bluebell, a Calder and a black one, Lottie, who is of 'mixed provenance' ! They are all just 2 years old now. The bluebell is laying every other day - or so, the Calder  about once a week and Lottie? Well, she's been in moult for months now and hasn't laid since about the beg of Dec. Breast oven ready and has been for ages, rear end somewhat bedraggled. All have regular treats of mealworms, veggies, salad bits n pieces, as well as pellets. Coop is mite free as far as I can tell, no sign of infestation on any of them, or in the coop. Poo looks normal as per Aunt Sally's pics (!)  I have been giving them a tonic via their water for the last week or so, and they get to go completely free range as often as I can - we have a fox problem here so it has to be when I'm here.
Obviously the other 2 are doing their winter thing, it's dear old Lottie I'm baffled by!
Any thoughts much appreciated. 

ghost61

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 20:10 »
Hi Lizzie.  I can sympathise as one of mine is a bit like that.  She keeps moulting little bits at a time and has yet to lay, but otherwise there is no problem with her.  She is the dirty girl of the bunch as does often have a mucky bum, but I put that down to her big feather knickers getting in the way, especially at night and I think she loves a bath and blow dry, so any excuse.

If she is feeding just like the others, then it is down to Mother Nature and she may not be as prolific as the others.  Mine are all the same breed and are the same age, but one lays every day, one every other day, and one now and then.  Just like us they are not all the same.

I will be worming next month, that may help you too.  You could try cutting down the treats (I'm sure that will be suggested by many) so that more pellets are eaten, or try some cat food (not poultry!) as that is high in protein.

LizzieD

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 20:26 »
Hi, thanks for that, reassuring! Lottie is eating well and behaving normally ie, bossy and strutting her stuff at every opportunity. She is boss hen!
 The 'treats' do include cat food most days (but not chicken)  and mealworms, but I will cut out the other bits n pieces.
They are due to be worked next month, other months I use vermx pellets and they have Apple cider vinegar in their water most days.

ghost61

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 20:33 »
You do the same as me, but I would cut down on the mealworms rather than veg as the greens help them absorb calcium.  Mealworms are just sweeties really!  My infrequent layer is also the boss.  So as a result she gets the lions share of the treats.  That's probably our problem!  But mine was so ill she nearly died last year so I indulge her.....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2015, 07:48 »
I'd agree with Ghost, that its the mealworms, rather than the greens, that you should cut down on.  I'm curious as to why you are feeding cat food most days as well.  Is it because Lottie is in a protracted moult ?  If she is boss hen and hogging the treats, she might be getting too much protein, rather than too little  :unsure: 

If hens are too heavy, they do go off lay and that mucky rear end could be because she in not eating enough grain and fibre.

The mainstay of their diet should be pellets.  A handful of corn can be a useful winter treat as it is a warming food and a good scratch feed.  I chuck greens in as often as I can as they love them and they are a good source of nutrients.  I would try stopping the cat food and cutting the mealworms right back and see if that helps.  If you feel mean and want to give them a treat, an apple cut in half is always welcomed and is much healthier for them  :)

LizzieD

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 07:49 »
Hello New Shoot,
The cat food is only scraps, it's usually about a teaspoon full that the cat won't eat because its been in her bowl all night! I mix in with whatever veg peelings there are that day. So it's not consistent ( cos often the cat eats it all)  and it's not much! Yesterday they had left over Brussels, broccoli and the outer leaves from the Savoy cabbage,  fed in mid aft so that they got lots of pelletts in first.
And no mealworms.... So, will stick to this for a while and see how she does.

tosca100

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 08:43 »
Well, we have had night time temperatures of around -10  for a while and the girls are objecting, hardly any eggs again though Sevi's ardour has not lessened. However, all the new lady ducks are laying well so no problem with supply. Original rather large lady duck has taken to trying to squeeze into a hen nest box so she might be getting ready.

joyfull

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 10:16 »
I'm now going to move this conversation over to the hen house as most of the posts seem to be about needing help rather than about how your hens are now laying  :)

Asherweef

Re: They're laying again! or not as the case may be!!
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2015, 13:28 »
Thanks will do :)

xx
Funny poo (or not as the case maybe)!

Started by Lynto on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 13:18
by Helenaj
xx
Advice needed just in case....

Started by Viv on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 10:03
by Viv
xx
woke up to 2 new hens . is this a case for the rspca

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

45 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 18:40
by craig1981
exclamation
Seen a terrible case of Impacted crop like this?! More Pics!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 22:06
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 34 queries.