Strawberry Question

• 8 Replies

Elaine G

Strawberry Question
« on: October 29, 2010, 13:17 »
My strawberry bed is full of couch :tongue2:
I have tried to get it out but just end up pulling out the strawberries as well.
Would it be OK to clear the whole bed and replant the strawberries, and if so wolud this be a good time to do so or would it be better done in the spring?
If it is the correct time should I add BFB or chicken pellets or just replant. They have been there for a year and have been totally neglected due to me having a  :tongue2: :tongue2: year so far!

Thanks

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
Re: Strawberry Question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 14:33 »
Is couch a type of weed? If so what does it look like.

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 14:51 »
I'd dig the lot out and carefully remove any couch roots from the plants (remember every little piece will regrow). If possible,[ I would replant them in another bed if you can and grow something annual in the current bed so you can get it really clean. You'll want to replace the plants in a couple of years anyway and can then restock your original bed if you want. Otherwise I would arm youself with one of those roll-on weedkiller bottles to treat any regrowth amongst the strawberries.

Is couch a type of weed? If so what does it look like.
Probably the most pernicious common weed grass there is. It has thick white roots which break very easily and as I said above every little piece will regrow as a new plant.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 15:20 by mumofstig »

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 15:12 »
I found out from doing thisand also on here, that established strawberries don't like being re-planted - however, if they are young plants, then I would either remove them all or pot up for winter, that will give yourself time to dig over and remove the dreaded couch grass. Remember to look into your plants' roots in case some couch grass roots are embedded in them, then replant whenever with added BFB not manure pellets until summer.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 16:31 »
i set out a patch of strawberries about 2mt/3mt with a wooden frame round them the weeds came up with the strawberries had to keep pulling the weeds never ending i decided to continue the patch probably a bit longer as i had some more strawberry plants to set 
this time i am going to set plants in poly sheeting hopefully this will keep the weeds down but i to had the same problem on this patch with couch grass had a long and tedious job forking it out although its not all gone its greatly reduced  and i keep spraying it with roundup it is a real pain but i think i.me winning

Christine

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 18:04 »
My strawberry bed is full of couch :tongue2:
Snap
I have tried to get it out but just end up pulling out the strawberries as well.
Snap
Would it be OK to clear the whole bed and replant the strawberries, and if so wolud this be a good time to do so or would it be better done in the spring?
[/quote]
I did mine during September. I cleared out everything and put the strawberries in pots of compost for a week or so. I had a real good clearing of the beds, added a great amount of compost and then bonemeal for the roots. Then I replanted the best of the strawberries and added just a little fertiliser to give them a boost (bit late for that now though). I did it last year as well and with regular fertilising throughout the summer have had bumper crops. I just like to let them get their roots down over winter so that they are ready for go in spring rather than delaying them by working over just as the growing season starts.

I went onto my allotment end of February 2007 and the first year the strawberries were pants because they didn't get time to settle in.

rubyrose

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 21:47 »
hi having the same problem. In the process of moving allotments and the one i have just taken over 1/2 to 3/4 was covered in couch grass. i have spent hours carefully forking and removing white roots and fingers crossed have won. I have this week moved strawberry plants ( from this years runners) with a good rootball so hopeing  they settle in and produce next year.

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 10:34 »
If you buy strawb plants they will be sent to you around now. Got mine last year about now. I assume that this is because they are dormant now? Planted them out straight away and they did well. Decided to move them 6 weeks ago to a new spot and they have taken really well.

Before moving them I cut off all the old leaves leaving a small crown of new leaves.

Havent used any compost/manure/etc.

As for couch grass - just keep plugging away - you will get on top of it eventualy but it talkes a few goes. :)

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 19:36 »
Couch grass can be a real problem, and not just in the strawberry bed. 

To be thorough (and you will need to be) the best option is to take out the strawberry plants first.  Dig over, and work through each spadeful with your hands to make sure all of it is out.  Digging in well rotted compost is advisable to hold in any moisture.  If possible dig a trench (about a foot deep) all round then cover the whole bed with weed supprecent (the strong woven stuff, not the thin fabric type).  Backfill the trench so the barrier makes a shell over the top of the bed.  I then replanted my strawberries through small slits.

Couch grass spears it's way through the ground to spread, and containing any you have left behind weakens the plant.

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
F1 Strawberry question...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2016, 16:31
by Growster...
xx
Strawberry question

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 18:18
by gavinjconway
xx
sorry another strawberry question

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 20:27
by gobs

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 39 queries.