Bee Keeping

• 6 Replies

teflon

• Experienced Member
Bee Keeping
« on: May 17, 2009, 22:29 »
Iwas recently told that  it in some area's you can site  someone else's bee hives on your plot(aparently your helping both the beekeeper& yourself).Has anyone had any experience of this.Or even reccomend a website or forum that may be of some use to me?
  Thanks
  Tel.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bee Keeping
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 22:41 »
have a look at this thread, also running at the moment

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=36826.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

teflon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 23:07 »
Cheers Yorkie.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:40 »
Teflon,

Take a look at this site http://www.yorkshirebeekeepers.org.uk/ it may have a contact for you to ask as many questions as possible!

I'm looking into getting bees of my own and will be keeping them on the lotty, seems a win win situation to me? I'll be helping by keeping bee numbers up, pollinating my plants (apparently harvests can be improved by 30%?) I'll be learning something new and I'll get all that honey, some of which I may even sell to recoup the start up costs of buying a hive etc.

If ya gonna have them on ya land it may be worth thinking of getting some of your own? If that's not an option I'm sure bee keepers would happily site bees on your plot.

Good Luck

Mick

teflon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 19:51 »
Teflon,

Take a look at this site http://www.yorkshirebeekeepers.org.uk/ it may have a contact for you to ask as many questions as possible!

I'm looking into getting bees of my own and will be keeping them on the lotty, seems a win win situation to me? I'll be helping by keeping bee numbers up, pollinating my plants (apparently harvests can be improved by 30%?) I'll be learning something new and I'll get all that honey, some of which I may even sell to recoup the start up costs of buying a hive etc.

If ya gonna have them on ya land it may be worth thinking of getting some of your own? If that's not an option I'm sure bee keepers would happily site bees on your plot.

Good Luck

I'd love to  have my  own bees on my plot  but i know absolutely nothing about beekeeping yet,so i think the way forward would be to spend some time learning as much as possible before i go any further.
  Thanks for the excellent link by the way.
  Cheers
Tel.

Mick

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 20:11 »
Contact your local Beekeepers Association. They usually run courses, help you set up your hives and sometimes rent out the expensive kit like honey extracters. My mum started last year and her mentor still comes round regularly (probably mainly as he had to give up his own bees and misses it!).
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Doodle

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 20:31 »
I'd love to  have my  own bees on my plot  but i know absolutely nothing about beekeeping yet,so i think the way forward would be to spend some time learning as much as possible before i go any further.
  Thanks for the excellent link by the way.
  Cheers
Tel.

No worries, I know nowt neither and I just bought my hive!  :blink: I've always been a 'learn by doing' kinda guy and knowing the hive will be here by the end of the week is just the kick up the backside I need to get learning!!

Aaaaargh!! Claire was logged in AGAIN!!! shared laptops eh!  ::)

xx
Keeping it together !!!

Started by Grif on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 28, 2008, 22:27
by Grif
xx
Keeping the Fox off

Started by plot36 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 10:07
by weeeed
xx
Keeping seeds

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:54
by randombod
xx
HOW ARE YOUR ONIONS KEEPING

Started by bazial on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2016, 14:44
by madcat

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 40 queries.