Harvesting main crop

• 4 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
Harvesting main crop
« on: September 24, 2010, 16:23 »
I have tried growing some main crop potatoes in bags this year.  I was told that normally with main crop when the leaves have all died back you cut them back and leave them for a couple of weeks in the ground and then dig them up.  Can I do this and leave them in the bags or should I get them out and dry them off and store them in the garage?  If so, what is the best thing to store in (I don't have any hessian sacks) and how long should I leave them for before using?  Also, do you have to wait for the leaves to die back, mine are looking quite yellow but this could be because I have just come back from holiday and I'm not sure how much watering my very kind neighbour did!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Harvesting main crop
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 18:57 »
You can leave them in the bags for the time being, they should be fine until the frosts come.

If you don't have any hessian sacks try paper bags - anything which is breathable and doesn't let the light through. 

You can eat them as soon as digging up if you want.  They probably won't take as long to cook as older ones though.

Maincrop take (I think) about 18 weeks from sowing to harvest.  When did you plant them?  There is nothing to stop you harvesting them early but they are likely to be small.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 19:03 »
I planted them mid April so I think they should be OK now.  As they are in bags I can have a rummage and see what I find!

Thanks for the help.

Lee1978

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 21:12 »
I have tried growing some main crop potatoes in bags this year.  I was told that normally with main crop when the leaves have all died back you cut them back and leave them for a couple of weeks in the ground and then dig them up.  Can I do this and leave them in the bags or should I get them out and dry them off and store them in the garage?  If so, what is the best thing to store in (I don't have any hessian sacks) and how long should I leave them for before using?  Also, do you have to wait for the leaves to die back, mine are looking quite yellow but this could be because I have just come back from holiday and I'm not sure how much watering my very kind neighbour did!

If you call in at your local chippy and ask them for their used potatoe sacks, they are ideal and free too ;)

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 21:47 »
What are your growing bags made of? You may be able to empty one out, dry it and use it to store potatoes.

Most garages are dark. If yours is then leave the tops of the bags open and just cover with some newspaper to make sure they are properly dark.

Seperate out any with damage to be eaten first.

xx
main crop potatoe harvesting

Started by ravenzero1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 18:36
by DD.
xx
harvesting main crop potatoes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 18:21
by rowlandwells
xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
cara main crop

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 19:38
by Aidy

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 38 queries.