shed roofing problem

• 19 Replies

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
shed roofing problem
« on: February 18, 2008, 19:30 »
hi all
  I aquired a 2nd hand shed on the weekend,os dimentions are 6.5ft x 6.5ft,apex roof,double doors and side opening window.

i had to destory the felt on the roof to dismatle it but i now have a question, upon removing i noticed that the roof boards had been getting wet,(not so good as the shed is only 12mths old) the previous owner had the felt lying from front to back (i hope that makes sence)he had left a good 6" overlap on each piece but no sealent was used just nailed the two sections onto the roof.could this be the reason the water got in ie under the overlap??

i allways thought that felt was laid starting at one side going over the apex then down the otherside..then leave a nice overlap apply some sealant then add the next piece of felt.. is this wrong??

i intended to erect itup on the plot but have been refused permission as the maxuim size "structure" is 6ft x 4ft. :cry:
it seems SIZE DOES MATTER in this case.. :tongue2:
Sanity is just a playground for the un-imaginative

Only once the last tree has died, the last river poisoned and the last fish eaten will we realise that you cant eat money

beansticks

shed roofing problem
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 19:44 »
Hi Welsh Boyo,felt is usually laid differently to what you described,if you had a 8x6 shed,6ft would be the width,8ft would be the length.Felt would be laid down the length.If you start at the front end,roll the felt out towards the back of the shed,easier done if you cut the felt to length,allowing at 6" overhang each end,and start at the bottom of the apex,tack into place using galvanised nails with large flat head.Do the same at the opposite side.The last piece will cover the apex and will overlap the first two pieces by at least 1 ft,finally screw or nail battens on the outside to hold it all in place,making sure you pick up the internal roof frame.Also allow at least 6" to tuck and fit under the eaves.

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
shed roofing problem
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 19:54 »
Quote from: "beansticks"
Hi Welsh Boyo,felt is usually laid differently to what you described,if you had a 8x6 shed,6ft would be the width,8ft would be the length.Felt would be laid down the length.If you start at the front end,roll the felt out towards the back of the shed,easier done if you cut the felt to length,allowing at 6" overhang each end,and start at the bottom of the apex,tack into place using galvanised nails with large flat head.Do the same at the opposite side.The last piece will cover the apex and will overlap the first two pieces by at least 1 ft,finally screw or nail battens on the outside to hold it all in place,making sure you pick up the internal roof frame.Also allow at least 6" to tuck and fit under the eaves.

thanks mate, it seems he did do it right except not enough overlap and no battens used.. nice one i didnt want to make the same mistake and ruin my new felt..
guess what im doing tomorrow now.. :lol:

beansticks

shed roofing problem
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 20:03 »
Take your time and enjoy the weather,try and make sure you locate every nail into a corresponding internal batten.One tip would be to measure the centres of the battens before you start you can then work out exactly where they are after you have fixed the felt.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
shed roofing problem
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 20:23 »
I'm confused welsh Boyo!!  I thought you said previous owner had fitted the felt front to back, but BS said it should be bottom first then top, which is different!!

If it had been done the way BS said, then it still shouldn't have been too wet, even with a small overlap. Or I am missing the plot again?  If so, just tell me to shut up!!!!!     :lol:

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
shed roofing problem
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 20:35 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
I'm confused welsh Boyo!!  I thought you said previous owner had fitted the felt front to back, but BS said it should be bottom first then top, which is different!!

If it had been done the way BS said, then it still shouldn't have been too wet, even with a small overlap. Or I am missing the plot again?  If so, just tell me to shut up!!!!!     :lol:

Hi annie
the PO had fitted from front to back but slighty different to what bs described they fitted one btm side then over the apex then the other btm side, also they didnt use any battens on the outside of the roof so the water has just got under the felt and run down and wet the eves, as the boards are osb they wont last very long like that, fortunaly they have dried without expanding and can be used,i just wanted to make sure it doesnt happen when i refelt,then i dont have to worry about replacing the roof nxt year..

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
shed roofing problem
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 20:41 »
Oh NOW I'm with you, so on the 'other' side, the bottom bit of felt was over the top of the apex piece and the rain went in under it?  If you do it like Beansticks said, it will look lovely and neat like mine always do because my Brian always makes a good job of his sheds!!   :D

Yes, I do say nice things about him sometimes!!!!  :lol:  :lol:

neil1967

shed roofing problem
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 20:47 »
If the sun is out again tomorrow another tip is once you've cut a peice to length leave it  unrolled and let it warm up a bit as this will make it more pliable and easier to make the folds on the corners. If it's too cold felt will split.

Neil

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
shed roofing problem
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 20:47 »
yeah  annie thats what i meant to say just couldnt figure how to word it..  :lol: glad i asked anyhow as the way i was going to do it was totally different lol

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
shed roofing problem
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 20:52 »
Quote from: "neil1967"
If the sun is out again tomorrow another tip is once you've cut a peice to length leave it  unrolled and let it warm up a bit as this will make it more pliable and easier to make the folds on the corners. If it's too cold felt will split.

Neil

hmm i wont be able to start untill afer 4,30pm due to work  so i dont think there be much sun left by then... do i take the risk of leaving it untill friday afternnon.(12.30 finish).
maybe i`ll get a tarp to throw over it just in case..  as the shed is up with an exposed roof on it..

beansticks

shed roofing problem
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 21:00 »
Cover with tarpaulin and stop the frost getting on the exposed timbers.

Ice

• muck spreader
shed roofing problem
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 21:11 »
Quote from: "beansticks"
Cover with tarpaulin and stop the frost getting on the exposed timbers.
I agree and the weather is due to warm up a little in the next few days.
Cheese makes everything better.

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
shed roofing problem
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 21:16 »
lucky its in the back garden  just thown a tarp over it, so it should be ok
allthough i do have a gh heater that i could set up in it...  on 2nd thoughts paraffin,naked flame and wooden shed,, hmm maybe not.

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
shed roofing problem
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 18:47 »
thanks for all your help managed to get the roof felted today and it looks brillant, just need a coat of paint on the outside and it will b as good as new.. :D

beansticks

shed roofing problem
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 15:26 »
Well done ,there is nothing like a job well done.Glad you are pleased.
PS, where in south wales are you?

clip
Strange problem in shed

Started by rogertb on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post December 15, 2015, 20:41
by jezza
xx
what shed

Started by J_B on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2016, 19:06
by grendel
xx
I got a shed, I got a shed

Started by Ice on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 20:32
by Ice
xx
First Shed

Started by Adams-patch on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 23:59
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.