Rhubarb low calorie recipies

• 12 Replies

Eblana

Rhubarb low calorie recipies
« on: May 01, 2015, 14:09 »
I am currently doing weight watchers and doing really well on it (one pound off target weight).  I have a bumper crop of rhubarb and was wondering if anyone has any recipes that would fit in with weight watchers?

lettice

Re: Rhubarb low calorie recipies
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 16:39 »
The delia rhubarb yoghurt fool is great.
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/rhubarb/rhubarb-yoghurt-fool.html

I make my own yoghurt and I always save the juices when I stew it and keep in the fridge and add 3/4 tablespoons to a cup of yoghurt.
The thing about rhubarb it does need sugar sweetener when stewed or baked to reduce the bitterness.
A few suggestions I have seen;
Use a small spoon of honey instead of sugar, as its sweeter than sugar, but helps with that bitterness in cooking.
Cooking with pure fruit juice or chopped sweet fruits like dates, raisin, apple or berries.
If you like bananas, stew your rhubarb in water and puree with a banana, the banana adds the sweetness.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 16:42 by lettice »

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 17:33 »
Thank Lettice, that looks lovely, will give it a try for desert on Sunday.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:42 »
This is OH's favourite low calorie rhubarb pud. 

Bake the rhubarb in a foil covered dish with orange juice and just a bit of sugar or honey.  Strain off the hot juices and use to make a sugar free jelly (packet mix and raspberry flavour is deemed tops by OH).  Top up with cold water.  Put the cooked rhubarb in a bowl, pour over the jelly, cool, then put in the fridge to set.  The baking means the rhubarb holds together more so you get chunks of tender rhubarb in the jelly and the 2 textures are more satisfying.

This is good on its own, or you could add some fat free thick yogurt to make it more of a treat  :)

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 10:10 »
That sounds lovely too New Shoots, I will give it a go on Monday.

gypsy

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 11:54 »
Dry fry some chopped onions, garlic, chilli and any other spice of your choice, add cooked rhubarb to the onions, mix it up and when it has cooled add powdered sweetener to taste. Goes nicely with roast pork, chicken, turkey, ham, cheese etc.
Catherine

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 12:24 »
Ooh I am loving the sound of these and will definitely be giving them a go! The jelly one particularly intrigues me

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 12:28 »
Some lovely idea there  :D

I used stevia as a sweetener with baked rhubarb and it came out very well.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 20:47 »
Rhubarb Eton mess but without double cream. Low fat creme fraiche or no fat greek yog. The meringue nest can be halved if you're struggling for points if you;ve spent your 49  :)

I like pink forced boobarb, just cooked in the oven til it yields, and then I eat that with no fat yog. Bit of ground ginger goes well in it

Home made meringues are lovely and you can make little ones

If you're a WW member you have access to zillions of recipes on the WW website. it's jam packed with them  :)

Eblana

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 21:08 »
Thanks everyone I will give these a try.

CQ, unfortunately here in Ireland we can't access the recipes from the UK website and our site doesn't have many recipies.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 14:35 »
No worries, if you go to class you get the Your Week booklets and access to the cookery books. The magazine which is available everywhere has some fab recipes in it

Just steaming your rhubarb lightly in the micro gives you a choice of things to do.  I actually like it with cold yog from the fridge  :tongue2: The hot and cold thing is lovely.  It only takes seconds to wilt. You don't want to overcook it

I'll have a look online for you  8)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 16:41 »
I have been reading around about rhubarb this weekend (who knew there were whole websites dedicated to rhubarb?!) one trick I saw and tested out today was a way of taking away some of the acidity of rhubarb. Often when people want it sweeter (especially the thicker, greener stuff) it is actually the acidity that needs to be reduced. If you add half a teaspoon of bicarb to 5/6 big stems of rhubarb (all chopped up etc as normal in saucepan) it really makes a huge difference - I could t believe it when I just tried it! As a result I have used hardly any sweetener (honey) and yet it still retains its rhubarb flavour. Just be warned it does make it look a bit frothy to begin with in the saucepan

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 22:10 »
 Slimmers Rhubarb Pots

100 g Rhubarb, trimmed and chopped   
 20 g  Stem Ginger in Syrup, drained and chopped + 1 tsp from the jar   
   200 g Quark   
   50 g 0% fat natural Greek yogurt   
 1 teaspoons artificial sweetener   
 2 teaspoons (level) Icing Sugar   
 3 biscuit(s) Low fat digestive biscuit(s)   
Instructions
Place rhubarb into a small pan with the stem ginger, sweetener and 1 tbsp water. Gently heat for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rhubarb is tender and coooked. Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the Quark and Greek yogurt with the icing sugar until smooth and combined.

Crush the biscuits and divide between 2 x 250ml serving glasses. Spoon over the Quark mixture and top with the rhubarb and its juices. Serve immediately, or chill for up to 4 hours.

xx
Val's Recipies

Started by Aunt Sally on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 16:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
Egg Recipies

Started by cejx on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 08:36
by Debsie
xx
Muntjac's Recipies

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

61 Replies
Last post November 11, 2007, 23:57
by mushroom
xx
minty recipies please

Started by stompy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post August 19, 2006, 20:58
by tetley

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 39 queries.