Onion marmalade

• 4 Replies

Spana

Onion marmalade
« on: September 21, 2011, 15:52 »
After doing a lot of searching for an onion marmalade recipe I decided to make up my own using the googled recipes as a guide.  Most of them use red onions and brown sugar, some have all sorts of spices and herbs added.

I only have  homegrown white onions and I'm not that keen on the taste of brown sugar so used white sugar and kept it plain to get the taste of the onion.  Also it was my first go so wanted it basic.

In a biggish frying pan a little oil,
Very thinly sliced onions, 700 grams after peeling, 3 cloves garlic, salt and pepper -you can always add more seasoning at the end if needed - and cook very slowly for about 20-25 mins without colouring, keep them moving.
When soft add 4rounded -not heaped- tablespoons white sugar,125mls white wine vinegar and 4tablespoons balsamic vinegar. Cook very slowly until all the liquid has gone,about another 20- 25mins.
Pot into hot sterilized jars and put the lids on.   
Its supposed to keep 2-3 months and doesn't look that exciting in the photo but boy is it delicious :happy:

You could always use red onions, brown sugar, and red wine vinegar if thats to your taste.
I cant wait to try it in a cheese or cold sliced sausage  sandwich.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Onion marmalade
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 16:18 »
looks yummy, thanks for the simple recipe - although I don't yet grow my own onions (will do when I get an allotment) I do buy large sacks of onions from the local farms so may have a go at making this  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 12:53 »
Just made some Spana - although adapted it slightly as I didn't have any white wine vinegar so used apple cider vinegar, omitted the salt as I try to avoid it owing to having high blood pressure and used demerera sugar as I do like brown sugar. A quick taste and boy it is soooo good  :D

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 16:35 »
Spookily enough I've just logged on after spending a few hours in the kitchen and one of the things I made was onion marmalade!

I used homegrown white onions, a mixture of dark and light muscavado sugar (because that's all I had), dried thyme and a few different spices along with malt vinegar and some balsamic vinegar.

It is really good and relatively quick to make in chutney terms that I am going to make some more to give to friends and relatives (only if they want it though, it's not like I force my home made stuff on them  :lol:)

I really want a food processor now though as hand slicing 3lb of evil homegrown onions is hard work!
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

PeterP

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 17:08 »
This sounds jolly good and worth making.
But keeping for 2/3 months doesn't sound long.
I'd have though you'd have to keep for at least
a month for the flavours to develop ?

xx
Red Onion Marmalade

Started by SalJ1980 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 19:24
by agapanthus
xx
red onion marmalade

Started by rowlandwells on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2022, 06:47
by Tonnyy
xx
Onion marmalade storage confusion

Started by devonbarmygardener on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post August 03, 2013, 08:29
by Mrs Bee
thumbup
Marmalade

Started by matilda duck on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2010, 19:03
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 34 queries.