storing your home made jam

• 5 Replies

LILLILEAF

storing your home made jam
« on: July 31, 2022, 16:31 »
  I have been very brave put it off worried i could not make jam, well i did it, with nearly 7lbs of blackcurrants in the freezer i made 6 jars yesterday.
We had some on home made bread toasted this morning, wow it was amazing i will never buy shop rubbish again.
As i have extra to keep and more on the way, where is the best place to store it?.
outside in a shed?, in a cold room in the house?.Lillileaf

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: storing your home made jam
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 18:53 »
I keep mine in a box in the spare bedroom, in there, I only turn the radiator on a bit if it gets really cold.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 13:58 »
I store mine in the kitchen at room temperature for up to a couple of years.

I buy the jar lids that have the little pop-down indicator buttons on them. The jars get reused year to year but the lids only get reused until the coated film goes on the underside or they fail to seal and pop down.

When preparing the jars, wash and rinse them then put them in a low oven (90-95C) to keep warm. Get them out a few at a time and close the door to keep the rest of them hot. Fill using a jam funnel to prevent spills onto the top of the jar. Fill to around 5mm from the top, give or take. Wipe the rim edge clean with a piece of kitchen paper dunked into hot water if needed and then lid them immediately a couple at a time as they are filled.

After a while you should hear the "pock" noise as they cool and the button goes down. Once used to this, you should get close to 100% "pock".

Any that don't pop down get placed at the front of the queue to be used first and the lids get an "X" in sharpie to get thrown out once finished. When washing the jars for storage, check the underside of any lid and discard if there are tiny black dots on it. This is the start of rust from where the lid coating got scratched. Store "jam" and "chutney" lids separately as the vinegar is always noticable when reused.

Jams and ordinary chutneys can be stored once properly sealed for at least a couple of years at room temperature out of direct sunlight. Anything with a lot of tomatoes in it needs more careful planning as they are rarely acid or sweet enough to preserve properly outside a fridge.

Enjoy your new jam!

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 07:15 »
Mine is in the cupboard in the spare room.  So far this year I've made strawberry, raspberry and some blackcurrant.  Not huge amounts but enough for a year. 

I've moved onto chutney and pickles now.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 16:14 »
All info is very good and useful i will be making more as i have given a few jars away for friends to try, so far everyone has said really excellent, so i am keen to do more.
I have also done some silver skin onions only one jar, the seeds were free so why not have ago.
Thank you for the help for a novice jam maker its great to get more help and not be scared to ask for help.
Lillileaf.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 18:26 »
I blitzed all our chillis from last year with some 2yr old damson jam, and it blows your head off, but well worth the effort!

It's stored in an ordinary Heinz Mayo jar, and I hope it doesn't eat the glass as well as the lid!

xx
Home made bread

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

31 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 02:54
by Trillium
xx
Home-made butter

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2016, 23:06
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Home made Chilli

Started by Armleywhite on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 13:43
by GrannieAnnie
xx
storeing home made jam

Started by stan deakin on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 13:33
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 41 queries.