Have I killed it?

• 1 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Have I killed it?
« on: July 06, 2020, 09:27 »
I had Elderflower in a demibucket on the counter and I moved it to a less sunny spot and it's gone from blooping all the time to a handfull of bloops then nothing.

We've shaken it a bit, and it blooped a few times and stopped again. Have I killed it? What do I do?
The Redcurrant did the same thing and never restarted.

jambop

Re: Have I killed it?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 11:26 »
Two things main things
1 Have you checked the SG ?
2 A constant temp of around 20 C would be best.
because you have cooled the must I am assuming the fermentation has slowed. If it does not restart when the temperature is back to ideal you could try introducing a new start culture... did you add enough nutrient?  How long has it been on the go? I once had a 25l batch of elder flower and gooseberry ferment to complete  dryness in less than a week to produce a 12% wine ! One thing very often overlooked by home wine makers is the acidity balance of the must, if it is a long way out then the yeast may not perform well as the alcohol level rises. However it was fermenting before you moved it so I would assume it will either restart when the temp is increased or has finished. Being involved in science I used to always check the acidity of my must's by titration and adjust with mixed fruit acids to make good if required.  I used to enjoy wine making back in the day but I now live in France and can buy good wine cheaper that I could buy the ingredients now, it was good fun though. Good luck

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 35 queries.