Help for first timer

• 3 Replies

rickyd

Help for first timer
« on: July 17, 2009, 21:14 »
We have three 12week old chickens. We shut them up each night in their house each night. The advice we were given when we bought them was to leave their drinker in the run as they can survive OK in their house without the water for the night and it will only distract them from roosting. Good or bad advice? Secondly, we off for our holiday soon and the neighbour has agreed to help us look after them. Is it strictly necessary to have him come over each night to shut them in their house? Apart from the obvious threat from Mr Fox (the run lies on the grass and has no wire base), would the hens be happy in their house with the door open or is any draught going to cause a problem? Can anyone help.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Help for first timer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 21:18 »
Don't risk it with Mr Fox. I've made that mistake.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 21:23 »
Firstly, they dont need the drinker in the coop itself, you run the risk of getting damp bedding not a good idea. Personally unless I know that the run is 100% fox proof I would close every night. The aftermath of a fox attack I wouldn't wish on anyone. :(

and welcome to the forum!

riversidemale

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 12:25 »
In addition to tnhe advice about Mr FOX you need to keep the house shut to keep any wet weather out, you don't want wet bedding in the nest boxes if possible. Also keeping the wind and rain out gives the chickens somewhere to go that is dry and warm.

xx
First timer

Started by retribution on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 15:16
by retribution
xx
First timer

Started by OLLIE on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:38
by FRUITFULL
xx
First timer

Started by Grampa on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 19:00
by Grampa
xx
First timer with chicks

Started by Poolfield2 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 23:25
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 35 queries.