Which strawberry plants to choose?

• 6 Replies

Eblana

Which strawberry plants to choose?
« on: January 24, 2016, 21:45 »
Hi folks,

My strawberry plants have fallen foul of vine weevle.  I have been looking around for replacements (they are going in a different bed).  The choice is enormous and I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with any of the varieties that I have available to me.  I will be putting about 40 in the PT and about the same outside and would like to get as long a season as possible out of them for eating and jam making.

The following are what is on offer

Darselect
Elsanta
Korona
Sonata
Cambridge
Fenella
Albion
Hapil
Honeoye
Sweetheart
Symphony

Nobbie

Re: Which strawberry plants to choose?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:40 »
I chose Honoye and Fenella and have been very pleased with the results. I take a few Honoye into the greenhouse for an early crop and then I get an avalanche of fruit from the Honoye outside for Jam etc and then the Fennela kick in giving a crop over a much longer period without the glut. Both taste good and have nice looking fruit. Honoye very vigorous and need a lot of work to take all the runners off, so plant at the recommended distances. I need to sort mine out before spring as I took my eye of the ball after fruiting last year :(

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:33 »

I see there is no "Alice" on the list but I grow this one and have had no complaints, and it's my old Mams name!  Cheers,  Tony.

I should investigate and try and spread the fruiting / ripening season so you don't have a glut
.  But then I suppose you knew that.   :DCheers,  Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:27 »
I got Elegance from D.T.Browns last year and the berries were lovely and firm with a great taste.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 14:31 »
I got Elegance from D.T.Browns last year and the berries were lovely and firm with a great taste.

Unfortunately UK companies won't deliver to me so I am fairly restricted to just two suppliers.  One is fairly expensive at approx stg £1.10 each plus delivery but the other company seems to be on par with the U.K. Companies, I can get 20 bare root for less than stg £18 delivered. 

The other option I want to look into is whether Parcel Motel will accept live plants.  They have a service whereby they provide you with a UK delivery address so that you can order from companies who will not deliver to Ireland they then forward the parcel on to you here in Ireland for a fee of stg £4 but there are restrictions on what they will accept.

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 10:33 »
Another vote for Honeoye here.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 11:15 »
I got 4 varieties friends m Lidl last year that tried their very best to fruit even though I kept nipping the flowers off to let them put roots down, they were incredibly cheap. Something like 6 for £2.99. We did end up with some fruit that were good, 1 variety was a bit crunchy! But huge & 1 variety was fruiting into December with how mild it was but it was so damp they rotted before fully ripe. Do you have Lidl, I know there are some Aldi stores I bet they have them as well, might be worth a punt even though I've not sold them well 😊 I'll try & find what varieties they were, I did look them up before purchase & they all had good reviews,remembered 1 Osaka
Edited by snowdrops
Looked them up
Ostara/Osaka, it was these that were fruiting into Dec.
Elsanta
Korona
Sonata
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:26 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
strawberry plants

Started by Haz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 13:22
by woodburner
xx
Strawberry Plants

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 17:37
by Trillium
xx
strawberry plants

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 20:24
by Dopey113
xx
Strawberry plants

Started by MrsPea on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 17, 2018, 08:27
by MrsPea

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 33 queries.