hawthorn

• 8 Replies

andyk

• Experienced Member
hawthorn
« on: October 08, 2007, 18:34 »
i have two hawthorn trees on the edge of my plot that need something doing with them i/e cutting down but i was thinking is it possable to lay them to form a hegde if so how to i go about it
thanks

Annie

hawthorn
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 19:10 »
You could lay them but would need thorn proof clothing and once established would need to cut regularly.They don`t mind being cut back hard.I don`t know how other people dispose of the prunings as this is and the blackthorn are the only thing we light a bonfire for.

muntjac

hawthorn
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 19:15 »
you take an axe .bow saw and some help . trim all branches off the side you want to lay down so that thye dont cause probs holding the tree up / now chop/cut through the trunk at about 4 ft hieght  with a rope attached to the top of the tree pul it down to ground level taking care not to break it completly off . now taking some fencing type posts .bang these into the ground inbetween the branches and tie the thicker of them to the post with natural fibre rope . now do the same to the others laying it exactly as the first . trim up the side of the hedge facing you stick any branches into the hedge vertically to fill it out make it flattish on its face if you can get any decent branches into the soil with some thin stuff still attached you may get them to strike .. now if you can find some small hazel whips .. look in the woods .plant these in the base of the hawthorn .small holly whips will also make it look great ,, thanks to the days i spent with the BTCV folks
still alive /............

andyk

• Experienced Member
hawthorn
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 19:26 »
thanks
when would be the best time to have a go i ask as the site is going to have a bonfire and it would be a great way of getting shot of the trimings
when i posted this i somehow knew i would get a reply from you muntjac

muntjac

hawthorn
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 19:36 »
do it when the thing shuts down or before the spring wakes em up .daft but i did a few jobs ( theraputic value only after i came out the service and got better ) with the BTCV  and i learned a mass of things i thought back then would never see light of day again....  :lol:  :)

andyk

• Experienced Member
hawthorn
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 19:41 »
sorry for been thick but whats the btcv (i am also ex srevice but it was 22 years in the raf)

Sally A

hawthorn
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 19:46 »
BTCV - Bulgarian Childrens Television I think.

muntjac

hawthorn
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 19:51 »
Quote from: "andyk"
sorry for been thick but whats the btcv (i am also ex srevice but it was 22 years in the raf)

lol figures a tonka torturer lol  :wink:  :lol:  the  " british trust for conservation volunteers "  based at wallingford oxon lol

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
hawthorn
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 21:11 »
Just make sure you don't leave too many thorns about, unlike the person who trimmed back some hawthorn on our allotment and consequently burst my bike tyre! :(
On the very steep learning curve of organic veg growing!!!!

xx
Growing hawthorn - help pls!

Started by amc on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 19:57
by Penny123
xx
Hawthorn Trees...

Started by N.WalesIdealist on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 21:47
by sion01
xx
HAWTHORN HEDGE?

Started by BIG ZOOK on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 20:11
by BIG ZOOK
xx
Pink hawthorn

Started by DonnaM on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 14:24
by DonnaM

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.