my cuckoo maran girl

• 9 Replies

karlooben

my cuckoo maran girl
« on: February 20, 2009, 19:53 »
i am still worried about my cuckoo maran girl , shes around 5 months old an the other girls to me dont seem like they have truly accepted her . when they are out during the day she always seems to be on her own and i really dont think my other girls allow her to eat much as in the afternoons when i put the others to bed she always rushs over to what food is left if any but most the time that tends to be the cabbage that the other girls havent quite finished of .
if an when i can build another run and i get more ex batts or { hatch my own eggs } would it be better to move her over  to the new run as and when its finally built  maybe if i can hatch my own eggs she could maybe mother the babies.

shes so nervous as well i cant get anywhere near her is that normal for marans to be like that.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

betty

• Experienced Member
Re: my cuckoo maran girl
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 22:32 »
It may take awhile for them to sort it out.  1-2 months should do it.  If they are really pecking her I would move her to.  They do tend to be very friendly birds.   I do know it will take awhile for her to adjust to her new enviroment.  She is probably really nervas to the new home.  How long have you had her?   

shiatsusu

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:42 »
We've got a Maran too looby and she's a real poppet, although she has had her share of pecking at our new girls mavis, but after a week they seem to have settled down- all I can tell you is that our maran is very affectionate, rather greedy and although not at the top of the pecking order does hold her own with the others. Like us I guess they are all different but if you are worried I would experiment with moving her and giving it time- or if there is one hen in particular causing the maran problems consider moving that one out for a while and see how she does then. They're such super birds  ;)

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 17:28 »
i have had her since last november i think and shes around 4-5 months old now ,i havent really noticed major pecking being done towards her she just doesnt seem to fit in with the othes when it comes to eating ??  today she was laying down sunbathing with 4 of the ex batts today .

and i cant get near her at all its going to be fun next wek when i got to try an catch her for the de licing day  :tongue2: :tongue2:

shiatsusu

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 18:46 »
They're big girls- does she look as if she isn't getting her share of the food? If not and given that they've been sunbathing together today I wouldn't worry too much. If she's like our maran she'll rush for food out of greed more than hunger!  :)

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 18:54 »
Hi, Ive got 6 Cuckoo ( at least they,re speckled  :unsure: ) and they are real friendly girls.
   Cant get moved for them if I am working in the hen house.  BUT ! ....  when I tried to mix my ex bats with them they nearly killed them !!!  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  had to seperate them very quickly , they then retuned to thier normal happy wee selves.
   They rely are lovley birds to keep, and lay very well too  :D

Alby
wish I was a cat

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 18:57 »
i must admit shes growing well and looks pretty fat { not as in fat overwieght } so she must be geting enough food .i did add a post about her laying i should of added it to this post , dohhhhhhh :nowink:

shiatsusu

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:39 »
Thought you might like to see a pic of ours, who is point of lay and ENORMOUS in comparison to the other breeds of same age!  :blink:
ren on a plant pot!.jpg

shiatsusu

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:45 »
Here's another one of her being nosy through the window - she doesn't like to miss out on anything...  ???
Rennie being nosy....jpg

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 18:50 »
i'll try an get a pic of my girl ,i did try the other day then the battires went dead on the camera  >:( >:(

xx
cuckoo maran and warrens

Started by Chickensrus on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 17:42
by joyfull
xx
Cuckoo Maran Sexing Help Please

Started by smudger28 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 16:05
by darkbrowneggs
xx
Cuckoo Maran eggs

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2010, 22:46
by peter rooster
xx
Cuckoo Maran not laying

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 09:55
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 40 queries.