Has anyone used Happy Tummy Charcoal ?

• 9 Replies

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
Has anyone used Happy Tummy Charcoal ?
« on: September 04, 2012, 22:26 »
Hi Guys, just wondered if any of you had tried Happy Tummy Charcoal, and if so any comments about it. I have just been given a litre tub to try on my girls but thought i would ask the question on here first  :)

PaulineM

Re: Has anyone used Happy Tummy Charcoal ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:14 »
Hi
I had never heard of Happy Tummy Charcoal but I did a google search there for it and I don't think it would do any harm to try it  :) It would be interesting to see what effects if any you notice.
I don't think I would rush out to buy it but if I was given one I would certainly give it a try as I have a couple of old Isa type hens who pooh very watery poohs (they dont have worms)  ;)
Got me thinking now  :wacko:
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 21:37 »
They have been on it for a couiple of days now and already MUCH drier droppings my Barnavelder has watery poo's alot and like you pauline i know she does not have worms this seem to have really helped. The only downside i see (which they claim to be a benefit) is that they are eating much less it claims to be a help for all sorts of things, i would have thought lots of people would have heard of it. It does have really good write ups in the poultry magazine but i never like to try stuff on my girls but you can get the exact stuff for humans so i figured it can not be that bad. There poo is DEFINATELY less smelly and really easy to pick up which is a bonus as they free range in my garden and wood!! Will keep you popsted on results

yacks

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 23:53 »
When my girl had sour crop a couple of month's ago I was sold activated charcoal tabs which is used for racing pigeons ... Would like to know if the product would be helpful for poultry with the condition x. Could not get my girl to take tabs as were very big and not too easy to crush ... Sadly was to late for my girl as she died the next day x

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:40 »
Sounds good for the poo, but I'd be a bit wary of long term use because (as it says on the tin) charcoal does adsorb chemicals but it is not discriminatory so the traces of vitamins and mineral nutrients added to the pellets will also be removed. I've read no research on how to quantify this and would be interested if anyone has found anything.

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 20:54 »
I would have thought alot of people would have heard about Happy Tummy im a dubious to keep them on it now!!!
Seemed to be doing wonders for there droppings. Yacks sorry to hear about your girl x

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 21:17 »
I found a couple of reviews on the Happy Tummy including this one
http://poultrykeeper.com/equipment-reviews/happy-tummy-charcoal
gives a better idea of what it is supposed to do, i hope its ok for me to add this.

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 21:32 »
And this which is very indepth from the company who make it
http://www.finefettlefeed.com/poultry.asp
Sorry im very unsure if i am allowed to add a link for people to read, just like to get other views on this product as im feeding it to my girls.

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 13:28 »
I hope that the mods are happy with people adding informative links; it's much more honest than cut and paste as people can see the origin and follow up.
The two links from Pixieswift tell us a lot about the commercial industry's priorities. Ammonia from the hens is minimal. The wet uric acid in the poo is broken down and gaseous ammonia released. Dry, clean hen-houses do not have this problem. I doubt that anyone on this forum has an odour problem or has burned chickens due to ammonia. Only commercial establishments with more eye on profit than welfare have the problems.
As small scale chicken keepers and lovers do we think that eating less food a good idea? Do we need to worry about the costs of disposal of tonnes of waste - or selling it on P content?
My very personal conclusion is that it may be useful for sick birds but is neither necessary or desirable as a permanent diet inclusion.
Runny poo may be due to worms or disease as said, but can also be quite normal in free ranging birds which are eating slugs etc.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:59 »
I hope that the mods are happy with people adding informative links; it's much more honest than cut and paste as people can see the origin and follow up.
The two links from Pixieswift tell us a lot about the commercial industry's priorities. Ammonia from the hens is minimal. The wet uric acid in the poo is broken down and gaseous ammonia released. Dry, clean hen-houses do not have this problem. I doubt that anyone on this forum has an odour problem or has burned chickens due to ammonia. Only commercial establishments with more eye on profit than welfare have the problems.
As small scale chicken keepers and lovers do we think that eating less food a good idea? Do we need to worry about the costs of disposal of tonnes of waste - or selling it on P content?
My very personal conclusion is that it may be useful for sick birds but is neither necessary or desirable as a permanent diet inclusion.
Runny poo may be due to worms or disease as said, but can also be quite normal in free ranging birds which are eating slugs etc.

I agree and feel that it is just another product to part you from your money if used unnecessarily :blink:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Bald Tummy

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 09:56
by Tattyanne456
xx
Bald tummy

Started by caroline or on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 14:44
by caroline or
xx
Chickens eating charcoal - problem?

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2011, 22:48
by Raven81
xx
Brahma with a poorly tummy?

Started by Daisycow on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 11:30
by Daisycow

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 37 queries.