Mountfield M1 Rotovator

• 41 Replies

Gwiz

Re: Mountfield M1 Rotovator
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 22:24 »
Not much to add really. Use your camera, take photos of where the govenor linkages go, use coloured tape on bits to high-light them so there's no way you can mistake what is what. Go easy on the bit's and bobs, they don't need to be done up like your Sampson!
I'm jealous actually, I haven't worked on a genuine Aspera for donkeys years!
Nice little engine, but do make sure you keep it topped up with oil as they have a nasty tendency to thow the con-rod through the side casing of the engine if you don't!!
I still have all the service tools for these including the flywheel knocking tool for getting them off.
Give a shout if you get into problems, one of us will be around and about.....

grendel

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 23:02 »
this is the air filter - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200753101987
mine just has a sponge in it and works fine.
I used a 3 leg puller to get the flywheel off, watch out you dont lose the key that locates it on the shaft. my other aspera has a round air filter on it - original or not I dont know.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 19:46 »
Thanks to you both; Gwiz and Grendel for your valuable information. Today I stripped down, cleaned and reassembled the carb. Prior to re-installing onto the rotovator I thought I would check the plug for a spark one more time. Lo and behold a flash of a spark was seen. Re-installed carb and after a few pulls it kicked into life. Very high revs and then died. This scenario happen each time. Whilst cleaning I did remove the "idle speed adjusting screw" to give it a good clean. It would appear this is not correctly adjusted. So, screw it fully in and then how much to unscrew? Is there a standard? Can you think of anything else I should check-out? Thanks.

grendel

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 20:35 »
from memory screw it in then back it off 1 1/2 turns.
Grendel

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 17:09 »
OK. The Rewind Starter is now not playing ball. Pulling the rope at half-way, three-quarter-way; it will recoil OK. But, when pulled fully; it will not recoil. I'm required to remove from engine cowling and manually recoil for maybe one turn before the recoil spring kicks-in. I've squirted WD40 within the "dog" area. The problem still persists!!! Any idea of why it will not recoil upon full pull? Or what I should check? Thanks. Photos of Rewind Starter attached. 
S1051604.JPG
S1051603.JPG

Gwiz

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 17:47 »
Could be any number of reasons. The most usual is where someone pulls the rope out fully when starting it, and it slips out of their grasp and flies back in under it's own steam. This has a tendency to damage the recoil pulley.
Another common fault is that the spring and/or the steel recoil housing becomes rusty allowing both to "grab"
It seems that you will need to take it apart. Firstly, undo the knot on the string and allow the pulley to rewind as much as it can, and then undo the centre screw. NOTE: the spring behind the plastic pulley will still be under tension and can fly out towards your face if you aren't careful or are unlucky. Wear some safety goggles to be on the safe side!!!
It'll all become clear, I expect, when it's been disassembled.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 10:27 »
OK, might be an unanswerable question? But, does this recoil spring look stretched? Just in case; anybody know where I can purchase a new one? Thanks.

S1051605.JPG

Gwiz

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 14:29 »
looks fine to me.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 18:48 »
Thanks Gwiz. That's one possible reason why the pull-rope is not retracting properly out of the way. As I've previously mentioned the engine is a 3.5hp Aspera/Tecumseh engine. Model LAV 35/DA-261. Correct rope length is my next thought?? I haven't the original. So, can't compare. The current one is 2.3 meters long. 90 ins in old money. Which to my way of thinking is too long. "61" (18.6 meters) vertical pull - horizontal engagement type". is quoted in the Tecumseh Technician Handbook. Grendel has previously mentioned that he has two of these type of engines. If he reads this message? Any idea what your pull-rope length is? Or Gwiz from your experience you may also know? Thanks?

Gwiz

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 19:40 »
2.3 meters is far too long, unless there is a holder halfway up the handles like on most modern mowers so you don't have to bend over to pull the rope.
I would have thought yours should be around1.5 or there abouts.

smud6ie

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 20:03 »
Thanks Gwiz. That's one possible reason why the pull-rope is not retracting properly out of the way. As I've previously mentioned the engine is a 3.5hp Aspera/Tecumseh engine. Model LAV 35/DA-261. Correct rope length is my next thought?? I haven't the original. So, can't compare. The current one is 2.3 meters long. 90 ins in old money. Which to my way of thinking is too long. "61" (18.6 meters) vertical pull - horizontal engagement type". is quoted in the Tecumseh Technician Handbook. Grendel has previously mentioned that he has two of these type of engines. If he reads this message? Any idea what your pull-rope length is? Or Gwiz from your experience you may also know? Thanks?
Its relatively easy to find the length of pull cord,knot the cord ,thread it through the hole in the bottom of the starter pulley and wind it snugly until it fills the grove allowing a bit extra to go out through the housing and pull handle.
The recoil spring in your picture, the spring  hook is not quite fully seated on its anchor but should do so when properly tensioned.
There are a couple of ways to tension the spring and its harder to explain than accomplish but will have a go:
Once you have the length needed thread it through hole in the bottom of the pulley and pull tight,and fix in position making sure the spring anchor near the centre picks up the hook at the inner coil of the spring,you can test by turning the pulley a little to see if it springs back.
once you have done that take the rope to the out to the notch on the outer edge and wind for about 5 turns and it so it can't spring back.then thread the rope through the housing then handle and knot it lightly.then slowly release your grip on the pulley so it can rewind.
If all the rope has not gone in,grip the pulley,undo the knot,fish the rope back through the housing and hold in the grove again.turn the pulley in the tension direction to a point you estimate is enough to take all the spare rope in and thread back through housing and handle.

It is easier to thread the cord if you heat the end in a flame then pinch and twist into a  point ..WARNING..you will be handling molten nylon which will bun if you you don't wet your fingers and twist it very quickly.If I didn't exlplain very well may be some one else can,or if I get time can do a tube vid
smud6ie

grendel

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 20:05 »
mine is nowhere near that long as I run out of pull before I am at full stretch. - just measured at full out it is 1.3m from casing to handle.
Grendel

smud6ie

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 22:41 »
I measured one in the workshop which was 35" but it could have been shortened, if grendels is 1.3m,to be on the safe side I would get 1.5m as suggested by gwiz and establish the exact length as per my earlier reply.if you can follow it ;) :)
edit: I should have added to that post that you should add an extra turn or two to tension the spring to allow for some rope stretch.
smud6ie
edit again:Bother I could have saved myself some typing,plenty of vids on youtube,this is just one of them :http://youtu.be/i3ZMVFi0yqY
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:20 by smud6ie »

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 15:11 »
Thanks to one and all for your very helpful advice and guidance. The recoil assembly is now refurbished, adjusted and back on the machine. Seems to work fine. But, and a big But, petrol appears to be still not getting to the spark plug. I've stripped the carb twice and each time giving the carb a good "blow-out" with carb cleaner. The plug is sparking fine. But, appears to be dry. I've poured a little fuel into the plug hole and after a couple of pulls fires into life. But, after what a few seconds; dies. Am I missing something?? Any other suggestions of what I can do with the carb? Thanks.   

smud6ie

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 17:45 »
Did you remove the main jet and clean the centre hole and 7 other holes in its tube,also make sure the hole is clean where the wire is poking through in my pic or the fuel can't get to the main jet.
smud6ie
040620122207.jpg
2013 jet.jpg
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 18:38 by smud6ie »

xx
Old Mountfield rotovator

Started by toastedcrumpet on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 17:08
by toastedcrumpet
xx
Mountfield M1 Rotovator

Started by rossco on Equipment Shed

28 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 21:17
by muckshifter
xx
Mountfield M1 Estate rotovator

Started by montygti on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2020, 15:57
by jezza
xx
Mountfield M1 Rotovator - oil seals

Started by greenhead on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2017, 15:59
by Sparticus

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 35 queries.