We have chicks

• 13 Replies

krystal

We have chicks
« on: May 09, 2011, 21:12 »
 :tongue2: have seen 1 pop her ghead out woo hoo, just give them scrambled egg then chick crum now?
Mum to 2 girls and 1 boy, wife, a border collie blur murl, a rabbit, 10 chickens and 1 cockrel, and 3 fish.

Casey76

Re: We have chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:31 »
Why would you feed scrambled egg?  I've never heard that one before   :unsure:

Chick crumbs are fine.

What have you been feeding mum?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 07:55 »
mum will bring them out when she is ready - often it can be a couple of days after they have hatched (don't worry they live on the yolk sac).
I agree with Casey - chick crumb only for food to start off and also water in either a proper chick drinker or a shallow dish with pebbles in (to prevent drowning).
Exciting isn't it  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

krystal

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:44 »
i read sumwere scrambled egg?  :ohmy:, shes still sitting nicely i can here chirping but still only seen the 1 i think there mayb more under there though. soon as i can get sum pics i will do

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:48 »
don't rush with the photos you are best to leave her in peace to hatch any more - this can take several days, she may bring the hatched ones out to feed and then go back to the eggs. After she is sure no more will hatch she will leave them completely and set up a new sleeping area  :)

krystal

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:52 »
ok thank you, so if theres any eggs still there how long should i leave them there before disposing of them

PaulineM

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21 »
Hi
Congratulations!!!
It must be agonizing not knowing how many you have, but time will tell.  :)
Mum will move off the unhatched eggs herself, so when she has left them and they have gone cold you know that you can remove them then.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:32 »
Can I just agree about leaving the eggs for another few days?  A chap in our village had a broody hen that hatched 2 of her 4 eggs.  He phoned me to ask about the other eggs and said the chicks looked like they were about 3-4 days old.

I told him to wait to see what happened to the other eggs.  He called me agin the next day to say that henny had taken the chicks outside, and left the other eggs which were stone cold.  So I said it was up to him, he can either leave them a while longer, or dispose of them.

A couple of hours later, he was round ours with the 2 eggs.  they did feel cold, so I said do you want me to have a look to see if they were fertile and a what age(ish) the embryo died.  Yes he said. 

So I cracked the first one open and there was a perfectly formed chick, but still had the yolk sac outside its body.  I laid it on tissue and opened the other egg.  When I'd taken the top part of the yolk off, the chick cheeped at me!  It was alive!  But as the yolk sac was again outside the body, I knew it wouldn't live, but then the other chick moved!  It must have heard the first one cheep!  I felt so guilty.  I wish now I had chanced it and put them in the incubator for a few days to see what happened!

So obviously these 2 eggs were a few days behind the other 2, and he would by now have had 4 chicks!

So please, anyone reading this, have patience with your broodies!  Give those babies a chance!

I wish I'd known what Joy said about mum leaving the original nesting area and setting up afresh.  I could have told Harry that!   :( :(

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:09 »
That's what is great about this site though, you don't know how Many chicks you will save in the future with that bit of shared knowledge Grannieannie

krystal

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:04 »
she has taken her out into the run today there 1 hatched but one egg still looks as though it has a crack in so have left them, the lil 1 is so sweet, thank you for all your advise with her and the eggs now a lil chick i know i have been a pain lol

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 13:07 »
You are not a pain Krystal, but someone who cares about her birds.  the people who are a pain are the ones who come on here to ask a question, and you must have noticed, there are sometimes so many different answers to every question!  But then these people totally ignore any of the suggestions given, then come back and say oh it died!

Just store it all in your brain, then in the future, a situation will come along and you will think ah, I know what I'll try!  And it either works or it doesn't!

I still think back 5 years to some of the things Muntjac told me.  Some of those ideas are still with me.  Okay, I still makes lots of mistakes, but we are only human!

Oh goodness, what do I sound like eh???  :blink: 

I hope the other egg hatches, oh and Harry is going to bring his other 4 eggs round here tomorrow to put in the incubator as we are putting another lot of shaver eggs in there, and I think there may be some sablepoot eggs going in too!!   :)

krystal

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 13:51 »
another 1 has opened 2 lil chicks now yey will see with the other 2 eggs :tongue2:

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41 »
 :D Congratulations, my kids want to hatch eggs, but I said they have to wait a year  :nowink: as if!

They do look cute though  :lol:
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

krystal

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 17:53 »
there doing relly well mummy is showing them everything to do

xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 35 queries.