Mixing Chickens

• 9 Replies

norbert10

Mixing Chickens
« on: May 07, 2011, 16:37 »
Hi, Im looking into getting chickens for the garden.

I have young children, are there any breeds which are better at being handled by children? Also is it possible to mix laying hens and table birds?

Thanks

bantam novice

Re: Mixing Chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 19:18 »
Hello Norbert10.  Welcome to the forum and the wacky world of chicken keeping.   :)
Be warned it can become addictive and most people, once they start, seem to want to add to their flock  :D
I am not an expert on breeds but I am sure one of the moderators will move your post to the Hen House where you will get exellent advice, I'm sure
We all love photos on this forum so when you get your girls you could try to post some.  In the meantime good luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 19:23 »
It's not a good idea to mix table birds with layers, as the table birds eat far more and stay on growers food until a week before culling, then they go onto a plain layers pellets or perhaps mxd corn. 

I think most breeds are friendly, and like humans, you get good and bad in all.  Watch this post and you will get loads of different ideas from everyone!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:14 »
Welcome, norbert10.  Have you considered getting dual-purpose birds?  Usually you keep the girls for laying and fatten up the boys for the pot.  They don't fatten up anywhere near as fast as meat birds but by all accounts make good eating.  I've not tried it myself.

It's commonly said that heavy breeds (many of which fit the dual-purpose label) are generally more docile than light breeds.  Light breeds tend to be better layers, but can be a bit flighty.

I keep three heavy breeds - Light Sussex, Barnevelder and Barred Plymouth Rock.  I have been really delighted with their temperaments.  They are all calm, confident and curious. 

Of course a lot depends on the children involved.  We had a visit from a 3-year-old the other day who was really good and quiet around the chickens, and they ate out of her hand and let her stroke them.  My excitable 2.5 year old nephew couldn't get closer than a few metres because he seems to have no control over the volume of his voice when he gets excited!  ::)

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 16:02 »
Hi Norbet10, we've just got three birds, and one of them is an Australorp. It's an Australian utility bird based on the Orpington. They are average layers (or mine is  ::)), good for table, but so so friendly! Our others are a Dorking and a Barnevelder, all known for being docile. But though Alice is huge compared to the others, she is so lovely, eats out of my hand, lets me stroke her and is so nice looking with no beady orange eyes. (According to my daughter).

The only trouble I had was finding a breeder local to me, but I think well worth the hunt.

Best wishes

Christine
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

mrscucumber

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 17:05 »
a friend of mine,keeps buff orpingtons,large birds,yet very friendly,feathers are really soft and his littlegirls just love them.he has a huge cockerel that is as soft as tripe and he takes him round the local schools to teach children about chicken keeping.
as for table birds,pass,i like mine in plastic.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 17:25 »
Light Sussex would fit the dual purpose bill very well (in fact probably the best of any pure breed) and make good pets.  Hybrids are only layers so you would have to consider a purebreed if eating was also required.  Dorkings are bony for eating and expensive,  Barnevelders are OK too though not as fluffy or as large as Sussex and more difficult to find.
HF
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 13:04 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 12:50 »
Our hybrids dont mind being handled and just crouch down when you approach them so are easy to pick up. Our marans however are more flighty and have to cornered and grabbed as they try to run past you, once picked up however they dont struggle.

norbert10

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 13:35 »
I have been recommended Rosehill Hatchery. Has anyone been? I have heard some good reviews

evie2

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 17:16 »
The best thing to do is take your time, have a look through some of the threads and take the children with you when you go to have a look.  A chicken in a book or at a distance is very different from up close and personal :D 
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Mixing chickens

Started by Callys Rainbow on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 18:04
by Callys Rainbow
xx
mixing chickens

Started by stevefitz5 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 22:26
by lisa123
xx
mixing new chickens and old

Started by flair on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 12:09
by joyfull
xx
Mixing new chickens. Please advise.

Started by Littlemisspepperpot on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2021, 14:42
by grinling

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 38 queries.