wolseley webb Centaur tiller B&S 5HP

• 7 Replies

gardeninbloom

wolseley webb Centaur tiller B&S 5HP
« on: September 11, 2021, 11:02 »
Good morning Forum,
I'm after some help with the above Tiller please.
This is a recent purchase from the dreaded eBay, I never learn! 
So the tiller was in full working order on collecting it and after doing about 3/4 work it stopped on me and left me stranded.
I have tried the obvious but nothing the odd backfire but it wont start.
I have removed the spark plug and i couldn't see the piston moving up or down which leads me to believe the engine has either gone pop or the con rod has given up, the recoil pulls freely though.
any advice would be great as I now have half the job done and I'm feeling a bit annoyed with myself for letting myself be ripped off again through eBay.
if I have to replace the engine could someone advise what I should go for as a replacement?
I would prefer to go down the diesel route if I can but I guess any options are viable in my current sate.

This tiller has reverse too by the way forum.
tiller1.png
tiller2.png
tiller3.png

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: wolseley webb Centaur tiller B&S 5HP
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 14:11 »
Do not try to fit a different engine. That is one machine that must have the side valve B & S unit with extended camshaft. This is the only engine that will fit properly. As it hasn't "thrown the rod" through the crankcase, it is a fairly straightforwards procedure to fit a new connecting rod, and you are back in business. I bought a slightly earlier Titan, with a seized big end, a few years back. Fitted a new rod, plus new piston rings, as they were worn. I have been using it with a sickle mower attachment ever since, with no problems. Find the part number of the rod, stick that number into eBay and often, someone selling a "new old stock" rod, very cheap, will pop up.
R Tallentire

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 14:20 »
Just noticed you mention it does backfire, it wouldn't if it had thrown a rod, so check there is no compression before starting to dismantle the engine. If there is compression you may only need the carb cleaning. Not easy to see the bore through the plug hole as it is more over the valves than the cylinder.

gardeninbloom

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 15:43 »
Thank you for taking the time to reply back to me.
I will certainly try and do a compression test on this engine this week.
I will update ASAP

jezza

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 09:22 »
Hello I use Briggs bits for Briggs&Stratton parts it's an off shoot of Briggs and Stratton,put model code and type into search it'll come up with the part and price,if it doesnt work give them a call the man there is very helpful,I use to use a Super Centaur with 60 inch rotors,my boss had them fitted with 9 hp engines when he bought them   jezza

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 11:45 »
"I use to use a Super Centaur with 60 inch rotors,my boss had them fitted with 9 hp engines when he bought them."

All that would do is make them more awkward to use. The reverse would have to be disconnected as a 9hp engine wouldn't have the camshaft driven reverse pulley. The engine would be heavier, which makes them harder to turn at row ends, as will putting a couple of extra rotors on, and the 2" A section pulley can only transmit so much power. You can get belt slip with a 3hp, so try to use all of that 9hp and you will get slip, even on the best adjusted belt drive. The International model Merry Tiller has double V belt drive to combat this.

gardeninbloom

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 16:32 »
I'm trying to find the model number on the Briggs engine struggling a bit as the cowling needs to be taken off to get to read them. to do this I need to remove the engine completely as the engine seems to sit into a recess on the tiller rotors shield nightmare!
this is going to be a long winded process i can see it now.
I thought of doing the electronic ignition conversion too I think I need this part number 397358 but im not 100% sure kind of hoping someone here has done this before and might be able to  help.

https://www.japgmowers.co.uk/ignition-coil-magneto-briggs--stratton-5hp-industrial-engine-397358-395491-697037-298316-31408-p.asp

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 09:40 »
I would be a bit surprised if it hasn't already got contactless ignition. B & S went contactless in the early 1980s. I can't remember if you can get that cowl off without removing the engine, but would have thought you can. For some reason I seem to use mostly 1970s Merry Tillers and the cowls on them come off easily enough. With some cowl designs, flywheel needs to be in the right place, so you can pull it so far off, before wriggling it round the flywheel. No big deal to remove engine though, four (awkward) bolts, plus one for belt guide, remove throttle cable and belt. If you are changing the con rod, you need to take engine off anyway.

xx
wolseley webb what model?

Started by greg.t on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2008, 18:33
by shaun
xx
Rotorvator problems!! Wolseley Webb Wizard

Started by cheeezzy24 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 07:55
by R Tallentire
xx
merry tiller centaur

Started by chumpy7 on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 23:46
by chumpy7
xx
Wolseley Merry Tiller help.

Started by aardvark on Equipment Shed

41 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 20:57
by jezza

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 45 queries.