How do members sharpen their Shredder blades?

• 13 Replies

mike2006

« on: February 20, 2007, 13:07 »
I've had an old ALKO 130S shredder for about 15 years or more, but the biggest difficulty is sharpening the two blades.  I've re-sharpened sets of blades on many occasions with a file and, although I can eventually get a good 'edge' on them, it's a laborious and slow process.

The current blades, as supplied by ALKO, are harder than the older ones, and a file makes very little impression on them.  Even so,  you should see the state of them after I put a load of hard bramble canes through them!

One Lawnmower retailer told me that he supplies new blades to his customers instead of sharpening their old one, amazing when you consider that they cost about £15 a pair these days.

Do any member have a quick and efficient method of re-sharpening these blades?

I was considering buying a shredder having a crushing mechanism, but how are they at dealing with more softer material?

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 13:11 »
take em out n put in a vice use a carbon steel file , you could take em to a farbricators / metal workers and pay a £5 app for them to do it for you ,in the old days ur local blacksmith would have sorted them for you
still alive /............

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 16:16 »
£10 angle grinder from tesco.
 :)

mike2006

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 23:26 »
muntjac:  I'll have to try your suggestion of a carbon steel file -  all my files are well past their best.  Trouble is, because of the size the blades, and the angle of the edge, I don't know if they would stand high enough in the vice to give clearance for a file.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Probably an electric grindstone would be the best and quickest method. In the past I used to get them sharpened at my old workplace. They had a floor-standing 'Linisher', which was like a large belt-sander, but you had to stop every few seconds and dip the blades into cold water as they got to hot to hold. I tried to duplicate the method at home by using a small DIY belt-sander clamped upside-down to a bench. Although the belts were supposed to be for use on metal, it took just as long to sharpen them as it did by hand using a file.

The latest generation of ALKO blades have "carbonitrite steel blades for an extended service life", and I have come to the conclusion that they're most probably not intended to be re-sharpened - that's progress for you!
It would be interesting to see if a grindstone would be successful on these!

Unfortunately the older 'softer' steel blades are no longer available.

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 23:29 »
try a dremel tool mate .they ahve stones in the kit that i usee to sharpen my scalpel blades for model making  :wink:

ihusker

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 00:04 »
I use an electric grindstone on mine. £12 quid from Machine Mart and it sharpens them up a treat.

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 00:08 »
cheers . ihusker and welcome to the site mate  :D

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 07:13 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
£10 angle grinder from tesco.
 :)

my mistake, they`re between £14 and£15 at our local tesco.
you will never have another blunt tool in your shed.

shaun

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 07:22 »
and also check the ballance of the blade has you sharpen it especially your lawn mower.
put a nail in the centre hole hold it like a propeller if it drops to one side take a bit more of the heavy side,until it ballances equal,if you grind too much of 1 side you will damage your bearings or the motor.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mike2006

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 21:54 »
gwiz:  I though an Angle grinder is for 'slicing' through things, like they do with Paving stones etc.  Do I stand to be corrected?

shaun - quote:  "check the ballance of the blade".  Can't do that,  as the blades don't have a centre hole, they have two holes off-centre.

There's also the point about what happens to the 'second' edge, i.e. the other edge that the blades come into contact with.  With a Lawnmower, both parts are removable for sharpening but, in ALKO's case, as it's part of the housing, this cannot be done.  Years ago I had a conversation with Chris Algar (the organic gardener and author) , who told me he brazed a file onto the inside edge of the shredder - I'm sure that wouldn't have worn out in a hurry!

shaun

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 22:10 »
never ever seen my shredder blades mike mines a black n decker
if you use your grinder make sure you use a grinding disc and not a cutting disc,they are much thicker and are made to grind at an angle,if you use a cutting disc at this angle theres a good chance it will shatter

mike2006

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 22:26 »
Doesn't your Black & Decker come 'apart' at all?

With my ALKO, one large hand-screw releases the whole top housing.  Then you can remove the Upper blade with an allen key, together with other bits and pieces, and finally the rotating plate that holds the two (smaller) lower blades.  The latter are secured to the plate with 2 screws each.  I fasten and unfasten them with a large screwdriver held by an adjustable spanner to give extra leverage, putting putting my weight over it as I turn it.  Works OK.

Trouble is, it's showing its age now, and doesn't quite 'snatch' branches as it used to.  When I read reports of how cheaper machines give after a few months, it's amazing how the motor has lasted so long.

shaun

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 22:32 »
never had a need to take it apart mike.
to be honest i hardly use it i got it given me a few years back but does come in handy now and then

Gwiz

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 06:05 »
Quote from: "mike2006"
gwiz:  I though an Angle grinder is for 'slicing' through things, like they do with Paving stones etc.  Do I stand to be corrected?

shaun - quote:  "check the ballance of the blade".  Can't do that,  as the blades don't have a centre hole, they have two holes off-centre.

There's also the point about what happens to the 'second' edge, i.e. the other edge that the blades come into contact with.  With a Lawnmower, both parts are removable for sharpening but, in ALKO's case, as it's part of the housing, this cannot be done.  Years ago I had a conversation with Chris Algar (the organic gardener and author) , who told me he brazed a file onto the inside edge of the shredder - I'm sure that wouldn't have worn out in a hurry!

corrected you may stand! :D it depends on what type of disk you have fitted.there are 3 basic types. a thin one for cutting, a "fatter" one for grinding, and a metal, often diamond tipped blade for cutting stone and brick.
i use them every day at work. :D

xx
tiller blades

Started by oldman65 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 19:12
by oldman65
xx
Nylon brushcutter blades

Started by David. on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2007, 20:54
by shaun
xx
Rotavator blades/tyines

Started by Caretaker on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 11:22
by Caretaker
xx
Sharpening Mower blades

Started by mrs bouquet on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2019, 19:39
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 38 queries.