Nearly Ready..

• 2 Replies

AndyRVTR

Nearly Ready..
« on: January 11, 2009, 18:08 »
Hi all.. as the title suggests I am nearly ready to get my chucks... One or two things left to do and a couple of questions to ask if I may...

1. The Roosting perch is left to put in - what size timber do I use and how high do I put it??
2. When I fist get them home, do I keep them in their new shed for a while or is it ok to let them in the run as soon as Im at the lottie?
3. What is the best time to let them out and  into the run on a morning? Also any tips on the best time to put them to bed. The reason I ask this is because when I drive to work I pass the lottie at about 7.15am and on the way homa at about 5.30pm.
Thanks as always..

Molly Hen

Nearly Ready..
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 18:15 »
Hi AndyRVT

I am still new to keeping hens and raised a couple of these questions myself.

My perches are made from 1" X 2" lengths of timer with rounded edges.  Because of the type of housing I have, they are about a foot off the ground.  Advise from this site was to avoid having them too high as the hens may get bumble foot if they have a long jump to the ground.  Alternatively you could make a ramp to the perches.

The farmer where I got my girls from told me to keep them inside the sleeping area for at least four days so that they knew where home was, but me being impatient and feeling it was a bit mean, let them stay in for two days and then let them out.  At dusk they knew exactly where to go, so glad I did this.

I have got myself an automatic pop hole door, which is fab.  I have it set to open at 7am and to close at 5pm.  The girls are in bed for 4.30 but I didn't want them to get a drafty chill whilst waiting for me to get home.  When the nights start to get lighter I am going to set the door up with the automatic light sensor on a night.  

Hope this helps.
Good luck and enjoy.

L.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Nearly Ready..
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 19:24 »
Andy

Mine like going out at first light - however as I have a cockerel I keep them all in together until 0730 (neighbours haven't complained YET!)

They put themselves to bed when it is dusk - so 16:30 this time of year and 22:30 in the height of summer. I always go and lock them in their coop after they have gone to bed but then again, mine are in the garden so it is a bit easier.

xx
I think im ready

Started by Louise on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 09:10
by Selkie
xx
nearly ready for chicks..:)

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 22:43
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Incubators at the ready!

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 17:45
by Mum2mj
xx
I'm nearly ready to buy some hens...

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 22:12
by Chookaholic

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 38 queries.