I'm nearly ready to buy some hens...

• 15 Replies

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« on: June 02, 2008, 23:10 »
I posted here a little time ago, regarding some advice converting a tin shed to a hen house.

I took the advice and my dad has built me a hen house from timber.

It's about 6' x 3' and was hoping to have intially 6 birds, with another 6 in 3-4 months.

How much should I pay for some POL hens. I don't care what they are as long as they lay eggs like crazy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 23:13 »
It all depends on where you live BFM!  I've seen hybrids as little as £3.95 and as expensive as £13, but I'm middle of the road, my last lot sold for £5.50p

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 23:25 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
It all depends on where you live BFM!  I've seen hybrids as little as £3.95 and as expensive as £13, but I'm middle of the road, my last lot sold for £5.50p
Grannie you know anyone in SouthWales that you could recomend?

Jellyhead

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:47 »
Couldnt you nip over :shock:  :shock: to Grannies and get yourself Top Quality birdies :lol:  :?:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:12 »
Quote from: "Jellyhead"
Couldnt you nip over :shock:  :shock: to Grannies and get yourself Top Quality birdies :lol:  :?:
Bit of a drive 200+ miles for some chooks

Ruby Red

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:49 »
Nip to WHSmith and buy a copy of Poultry magazine or Smallholders monthly. They have loads of useful info about hens in general and also in the poultry mag they have a huge list of places that sell hens in a directory at the back.  :)
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 13:21 »
no one I knoe personally, but there is

www.poultyr4u.co.uk

Blaengors, Carmarthen 01267 275599

mthappyhens@aol.com   (Carmarthenshire)

www.poultrymill.com nr Pencoed

Got them out of Country Smallholding mag, but don't know if they are any good!!!

Porffor

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 20:05 »
I'm just outside Llanelli, and have bought some at £15 from Greenaways Greenaways
(feed store) they are at POL but haven't layed yet. They have light susex, black rock, Warrens, Marans and silver sussex at the momet.
Not the cheapest but a reliable shop and will take them back if they are cocks. Will teach wing clipping if you like and have feed etc there. :)

Other one i found is;
Happy Hens
proper breeder we spoke of a month off POL Brahma's at £35 but not sure what else he has.

oh and if you want to save some chooks.. then Lampeter eggs are selling off Ex-batts for £1 each in June. :)

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 15:42 »
I have bought seven hens, they are just settling in. Very shy at the moment but have popped their heads out once or twice. Seem quite happy at the moment.

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 15:45 »
I have bought seven hens, they are just settling in. Very shy at the moment but have popped their heads out once or twice. Seem quite happy at the moment.

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 15:46 »
Oh yeah got them from MR Egg in Caerphilly paid £5.90 each. Seemed OK if a little bit rugged.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 17:48 »
If ya not bothered what 'type' of chucks...have ya considered ex-bats? They lay well and there's a thread on here about some being ready to rehome in July? they're dirt cheap (if not free!) and will give you lots of eggs, they will need a bit of TLC and settling in time but I've been told they soon settle down and become lovely birds!

Good Luck...hope you have better luck than me, i'm ready to buy myself but can't fins the specific banties I'm after  :cry:

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 19:44 »
I went to my local garden centre in weston ( i'm sure grannie will know it,& poultrygeist ) it has just started stocking a few chickens,& I couldn't believe the price....£19.95 each,growers,Black copper Marans,Speckledy hens,& Calder Rangers.The latter were advertised as 'calender' rangers!! I think this is a bit pricey,& they didn't seem to know much about them as they had only just started to stock them. :shock:  :shock: If I was them,I would do more research,before selling them,surely that would be the more responsible thing to do.They had nothing to scratch in or anything... :shock: What do y'all think?
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 00:08 »
Quote from: "mickwood"
If ya not bothered what 'type' of chucks...have ya considered ex-bats? They lay well and there's a thread on here about some being ready to rehome in July? they're dirt cheap (if not free!) and will give you lots of eggs, they will need a bit of TLC and settling in time but I've been told they soon settle down and become lovely birds!

Good Luck...hope you have better luck than me, i'm ready to buy myself but can't fins the specific banties I'm after  :cry:
Cheers, I've steered myself well clear of  ex-bats. I've heard too many horror stories of many of them dieing very quickly, my friend had 50 and within 48 hoursa had about 15 within a month less than 10.... Not sure this would be for me.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 23:19 »
Quote from: "Chookaholic"
I went to my local garden centre in weston ( i'm sure grannie will know it,& poultrygeist ) it has just started stocking a few chickens,& I couldn't believe the price....£19.95 each,growers,Black copper Marans,Speckledy hens,& Calder Rangers.The latter were advertised as 'calender' rangers!! I think this is a bit pricey,& they didn't seem to know much about them as they had only just started to stock them. :shock:  :shock: If I was them,I would do more research,before selling them,surely that would be the more responsible thing to do.They had nothing to scratch in or anything... :shock: What do y'all think?

We saw those chickens too.  They had no water and I had to go and complain!  then a week later, I got a call from them asking if I can supply them with chickens as they can't get a regular supplier!!!!

xx
Ready for the Hens but which ones ?

Started by longbow on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 09:57
by shiatsusu
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 36 queries.