Runners on the run

• 7 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
Runners on the run
« on: May 25, 2014, 11:04 »
Morning all. As usual I sowed my runner bean seeds and courgettes indoors a bit early and they have romped away. They haven't been hardened off yet and our garden is quite exposed. Can I plant them straight out in the veg patch this weekend or if not how do I harden them off without them getting damaged by the wind (and rain).

Goosegirl

Re: Runners on the run
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:12 »
Don't know what your temps are like, but it's not warm enough to risk planting them straight out at the moment. I would insert a cane in each pot and tie their stalks to them, then they won't get damaged when you harden them off. The canes can be removed when you plant them out or just tied to the bigger ones because the bean stalks will grow onto these.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:22 »
Thanks for the advice GG. Will definitely do that.. Must learn my lesson for next year :blush:

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 13:48 »
Pinch out the tips of the runners, and start to harden off for a couple of weeks, that should be just right for the new growth to sprout and then you'll have two leading stems...
Can't help with the courgettes though mine were flowering in their pots last spring the weather was so bad to get them out....and then we got fed up with the blasted things we had so many  :nowink:

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 16:58 »
Thanks Pigguns. Have Just put some canes into the pots and the stems on some of them are even longer than the 24" canes ... Haven't got a cold frame so am going to have to bring them in at night too. Pinching out the growing tip seems a good idea cos at this rate they'll be six feet long before they go in the ground. Doh! :ohmy:

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 20:43 »
I started some runners too early here in Yorkshire and they've been outside in their pots for the last week, except for the night we had thunderstorms. They're doing fine in a protected area against the wall of the house.  However I have a lot more currently germinating indoors as back ups. They had to go out. I have no windowsill or table space left. 

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 21:20 »
Not so sure on your courgets but your runners should be ok. Mine went out straight into the ground 3 weeks ago into a well prepared bed. They did look a tad sorry for the first week so I doubled my chanses by putting in fresh seed beside the plants.
The last week they have gone stupid and are a good 18" up the canes with the later seed close behind them.
It looks like my bait freezer will be baitless yet again to cope with the extra
May the fork be with you

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 18:45 »
Thanks for the latest replies. Hopefully with a few more warm days and reasonable nights they can move into the veg patch soon, although rain forecast for the next couple of days so don't want them getting bashed by the rain. May have to bring them in again. Utility room lookin' like Beanstalk Jack's hangout :D

xx
Rooted strawberry runners sending out runners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 19:42
by Tracybutton
xx
strawberry runners from runners, any good to use?

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 14:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
strawberry runners on runners now what do i do

Started by darrenwest1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 18:24
by darrenwest1
xx
How many Runners

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 22:45
by peapod

Page created in 0.475 seconds with 36 queries.