Hello from a new hen keeper!

• 35 Replies

Trillium

Re: Hello from a new hen keeper!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 03:16 »
Chickens can safely eat some clover, they just can't have a steady diet of it. Like everything else, moderation is best and chickens usually decide what they prefer.

Also, there are a lot of different types of clovers so some may be far less toxic than others. If possible, have a range of palatable greens for them so there's a healthy  variety.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 08:57 »
My sleepy morning eyesight read 'Dover' there for a moment - thought they were planning an excursion!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

JaneS

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 19:46 »
My girls had their first explore out of their enclosure today.... freedom!  Little bit unsure at first but soon got scratching and nibbling at things.  Met our cats too and they went very well  :D
100_2732 bbbbb.jpg

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 21:50 »
Hi, lovely looking girls there, they look very happy in the garden :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 22:43 »
You might need to mow the lawn for them as they can suffer with impacted crop if the grass is long.  They will love eating the new shoots of the grass and wild plants.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

JaneS

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 09:42 »
Good point, will have to do that, my lawn is usually full of frogs so I hate mowing it!  Normally go around with a pair of shears instead, backbreaking but less carnage!

wildwitchy

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 23:46 »
fab hens there. I really do like the look of these sussex's. Take note ww, NO MORE HENS...... :unsure:

ANHBUC

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 23:52 »
fab hens there. I really do like the look of these sussex's. Take note ww, NO MORE HENS...... :unsure:

Yes beware of Light Sussex wildwitchy, all 5 of my Bantams turned out to be cockerels!   :ohmy:

wildwitchy

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 00:08 »
On second thoughts,  I don't think my Paddy and Sidney would take to anymore man friends, cept definate GIRLfriends.   :lol:

Jeez, thats bad luck. You fell out with the big fella upstairs!  :ohmy:

ANHBUC

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 00:15 »
I really hope not and the neighbours have been very understanding (well no one has complained yet!)  Only 2 left and they are not crowing fully at the moment.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 16:29 »
Nice hens jane think i may get some of those,but how long will they stay white for when they have been dust bathing lol!!! :)
Pull up a perch!!

JaneS

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 20:15 »
Mine are staying pretty clean, had one with a muddy tummy once but next morning she was as clean as a whistle again.

Had one fly over next doors garden fence today..... was quite an amazing flight!  I was quite impressed until we had to get her back again.....fun and games!  Dont want to have to clip their wings so might have to get some high bushes put in between us and next door, cant afford to fence it, would cost a fortune!  Currently there is a 4ft wire fence between us and a few similar height bushes.  Not good.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 22:55 »
...it doesn't sound fox proof...  does your neighbour have a high fence?  My boundary with my neighbour isn't the strongest I admit as I didn't dig down but I'm hoping the hedge roots will block a tunnelling fox.

JaneS

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 20:25 »
The garden isnt fox proof but their enclosure is.  We only let them out when we are in the garden, dont even go indoors, just stay outside with them.  We do have foxes living in the area, our garden backs onto woodland and we hear them regularly, hence the fox proof enclosure!  Still mulling over what to do about the fencing, we have a man living 2 doors away who is a professional fence putter-upper so will enquire how much it would cost to 6ft panel fence the last 2 sides of the garden, already have 6ft fence to the other neighbours side.  If too expensive we are thinking about the 6ft bamboo fencing which would only cost about £100 or so and would need less maintainence.....

splash101

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 21:40 »
Our fences are over 6 feet and the foxes clear it  :(

xx
new ex-bat keeper

Started by daisy 2 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 13:25
by Flowerpower136
xx
Question from a non hen keeper

Started by Snap Dragon on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 16:21
by birmancats
smiley
1st egg for first time chicken keeper!

Started by neenyneen on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 10:07
by dawnie77
xx
Brand new chicken keeper

Started by x-eve-x on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 16:43
by Kathie

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.