poorly hen

• 23 Replies

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
poorly hen
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:30 »
I have a light sussex that had recently gone broody, if thats what staying in the nest all day and not laying is.  well that went on for about a week and a half. shes been out and about without going back in now for a few days, but looking at her today she looks really ill. Her comb looks drained of colour it just pinkish instead of bright. and she looks almost grey/yellow all around her face, she looks like she got jaundice.  Any ideas?

Bodger

poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:38 »
A broody on the nest is open game for all the blood sucking insects that there are. Check her for lice, Northern mite and Redmite. Treat her with an insecticide, she maybe having her very life blood drained away from her at night time in particular.

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
poorly hen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 10:09 »
I have a pigeon insect spray that my supply sold me will that be ok or will i need something more specific

muntjac

poorly hen
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 10:21 »
that will be fine ,under the wings and between the legs .stay away from eyes nose and butt :wink: also spread some vasaline under the perches .the side that faces down .. do the legs with vasaline as well ..help stop them climbing up em.. do the whole house ..  ask your supplier for diatom  :wink:
still alive /............

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
poorly hen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 10:48 »
Thanks for really good  advice, I just looked and yes there are little red mites i feel terrible, they were under the nest box and a few on the perch,  I've taken every thing out to wash out.    I have been scrapping out and changing sawdust on regular bases but now know to be more vigilant about checking everything and washing. Can i use jeyes to wash out?.  Is Diatom to spray them with or wash out house.  Will the spray kill any that are on her already on her?

muntjac

poorly hen
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 10:55 »
get diatom and treat the birds as well ..yes you can use jeyes  to clean it out .use a jet spray when you wash it out and make sure its dry .i do mine in the early hours to make sure its sorted before bed time . you should clean the coop out once a week completly you can also use
" ivermectin " for other problems that can crop up

some red mite details taken from ebay

Red Mite  are on the increase, and are causing concern for both the backyard and the commercial poultry keeper.

Research into Red Mite is limited, in fact a large scale test of control by changing lighting conditions has just been stopped due to lack of funding. However, it has been noted that some Red Mite are becoming resistant to tried and tested methods of control, so new avenues need to be explored.

What are Red Mites? They are not the same as the garden Red Spider mite, but a blood sucking pest by the name of DERMANYSSUS GALLINAE. They are not always red, young ones or hungry mites are pale, the red comes from the blood they suck from the poor birds.

Red mites are not usually found on the birds, they hide in the housing in daylight emerging at night to jump onto the birds to feed. Normal chicken lice are a orangey colour and feed off feather and skin debris, they itch and look unsightly but are not a huge risk. Red Mite can be a killer, birds become listless, poor feeders and fade away. Warning signs are pale combs and wattles, decreased appetite, no eggs, unwillingness to go into the house at night and apathy. In the chicken house you may notice a 'musty' smell , small bugs that swarm all over you and make you itch, a white dust in crevices and around doors in the house, obvious waxy clumps of red matter and if you go out with a torch at night you may see the mites crawling over the birds and woodwork.

What to do? Thorough cleaning of the house and surroundings is essential. Clean out thoroughly and dismantle if possible to expose hidden surfaces. Remove roofing felt or any insulation as the mites hide under it, consider replacing roof with Onduline if practical. The house can then be washed or sprayed with a Red Mite treatment, Poultry Shield is excellent. The powder treatments containing silica such as Agils Red Mite powder are also effective, the effect is not immediate so dont give up, it acts by abrading the shell and desiccating the little whatsits, and is safe for use on bird.

Ardap is an excellent spot treatment for red mite tratment, and can be used immediately.I use it for hot spots after the poultry shield, Vulcan powder also helps in the house, both are not recommended for on bird treatment.

A lot of products around are only deterrents, so read labels carefully before using. If a proper treatment is not  available, even garden disisnfectant will help. Steam cleaners and heat guns will also help, but must be used with care and appropriate electrical safety guidlines followed. The life cycle of the Red Mite is 7-10 days, and they can live without feeding for 36 weeks, so constant vigilence is required. If buying a used house always treat before use.

Some houses are impossible to get free of the pest, solution? Burn them and buy a new one! It is also important to either move the house or treat the surrounding area, as the mites can just move straight back in. I have caught a lot by putting sticky fly papers in empty houses, and also by putting rolled up cardboard in the roof space. The cardboard can be removed and burnt, they seem to love hiding in it.

PREVENTION. Regular cleaning and treatment and use of deterrent. One of my customers has 2 houses, one for summer and one for winter. When he moves the birds he uses the old illegal creosote (not recommended now for animal housing) to treat the empty house. This gives the empty house 6 months to ventilate, he has no red mites problem, thsi may be due to the creosote or just good husbandry but it does seem that red mite has increased since proper creosote was banned.

Bathing your birds also seems beneficial. A tub of warm water with an animal Tea tree oil shampoo in, and then a rinsing tub of clean warm water with a few drops of Tea tree oil works for my Orpingtons. Choose a warm day and have lots of help, they look pathetic afterwards but soon fluff up.

Another treatment that can be used is Ivermectin, do not use if the eggs or meat is to be eaten. This product is not licenced for poultry, it is used at the rate of 5 drops on the back of the neck, please consult with appropriately qualified person before use. Ivermectin is absorbed into the bird and has a similar action to spot on treatments used on domestic pets. There are  some concerns over  effects on fertility being reported this should be considered before use.

I hope this guide is of some help, if you are still concerned about your birds health then consult a veterinary surgeon, some of the symptoms of Red mite can be similar to other diseases
 hope this helps .. :wink:  i dont do all of the above but it gives some general advice  :)

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
poorly hen
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 11:02 »
Thanks again

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
poorly hen
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 12:02 »
Having trouble getting hold of diatom , I have washed out the hen house with jeyes and the mites have been crawling out of the gaps.  I live in bristol.  Cant get hold of the person who supplied my hens. I,ve tried poulty suplies and vets

muntjac

poorly hen
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 12:03 »
how about ebay?
type in diatom ... and flubenvet .diatom is about £7 .... not sure about flub :wink:

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
poorly hen
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 12:04 »
yes just checking there, there are a few different tubs how would i know if its the real thing

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
poorly hen
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 12:14 »
Would this be the right stuff?  from ebay. its a white tub with blue writing.

For residual Control of Red Mite/Insects. A Natural Wormer. Increases digestibility and conversion of feed. A natural mineral boost. Improves health with a better growth gain. It also has many Household and Garden uses. Can be applied directly to the skin and bedding, nest boxes, dust baths and housing. Totally non toxic/non staining. Can be used in Organic Production. It has a mechanical action which dessicates mites. Can be used as a follow up treatment to Poultry Shield, to mop up surviving mite and prevent re-infestation. Made from layers of microscopic algae laid down in prehistoric times, it is mined and then milled to the correct grade. Used for many years worldwide, this is a tried and tested product.

Bodger

poorly hen
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 12:19 »
Duramitex always use to be my first choice in the old days. I presume you can still get it and that its just as effective.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly hen

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 08:01
by Viv
xx
Very poorly hen

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 16:43
by ANHBUC
xx
Poorly Hen

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 16:10
by New shoot

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 29 queries.