re: planting on sweetcorn

• 39 Replies

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
re: planting on sweetcorn
« on: April 12, 2010, 15:23 »
Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone could answer this question? I planted some sweetcorn seeds in peat modules, so they can go straight into the ground, pot and all. But I also planted some in trays so they'll need to be transplanted. A friend said yesterday that sweetcorn are very unhappy about anything touching their roots, so will they be ok when they're moved? ???

Thanks in advance  :)
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Re: re: planting on sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 15:28 »
i grew m ine in 3.5 inch pots last year and then transplanted and they grew perfectly so dont worry too much ;)

i only read about the non like of root disturbance after they had sprouted so i just took extra care when emptying the pot.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 15:53 »
I grow mine in paper pots and just plant the whole thing!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 16:14 »
I grow mine in paper pots and just plant the whole thing!!!

snap :lol: but that doesn't help rhythmvick much does it? :)

If I were you I would move the ones in the seed tray into either peat/paper/bigger pots soon, before the roots hit the bottom of the tray.

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 16:22 »
Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone could answer this question? I planted some sweetcorn seeds in peat modules, so they can go straight into the ground, pot and all. But I also planted some in trays so they'll need to be transplanted. A friend said yesterday that sweetcorn are very unhappy about anything touching their roots, so will they be ok when they're moved? ???

Thanks in advance  :)
sweetcorns already? are you too early or I am late?
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 19:06 »
about now is right prakash, for us down south  :)

I potted mine into paper pots today after chitting for 2 days, same time as last year 8)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 20:38 »
I will be chitting mine next week,  then in root trainers to then go out under a 2l pop bottle for a week or 2.  With a weekly feed (tues) of comfrey tea.  Normally get 3 full cobs per plant to )
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Dave f

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 21:01 »
I put mine in small pots last year and didn't take particular care when planting them out .  They all did fine.  Probably a case of ignorance is bliss!  Dave F

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:26 »
Yes, yes, next year I shall be a clever bean too and plant mine in paper pots  ;) However, this year I'm just going to have to problem-solve... Thank you all for your advice :)

I'm with Mumofstig, the weather down here is alright for sweetcorn this early. They were started off on the bedroom windowsill in food-baggies to act as a mini-greenhouse. When they broke through, I took the bags off and they seem happy enough basking in the sun on the sill.

A friend of mine started her sweetcorn off about three weeks before me and is already hardening off outside. Haven't got the nerve for that  :nowink: :ohmy: :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:48 »
Make sure the peat pots are completely buried when you plant them out otherwise you may find they don't get sufficiently wet to rot down which will inhibit the roots (I use paper pots now but when I did use peat pots I used to cut down one side of the pot with scissors before planting out to help the roots escape as I often found a considerable percentage of the pot was still intact even at the end of the growing season!)

As for when to plant out, check the forecast for next week in you area; night frosts early next week here which would be certain curtains for sweetcorn!!  :wacko:  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

digalotty

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:53 »
whenever i use the peat pots now i poke holes alround with a small knife so that the roots can escape easier , does anyone else do this , and i will plant my sweetcorn in two weeks when i get back. :tongue2:
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 12:27 »
I've been cutting my peat pots down as far I can before setting them in the soil, but I'll be poking holes in them as well now - good idea!!  :)

sonic

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40 »
I can't understand why there's any need to be precious about sweetcorn.  I've grown it for years.  Start it off in plastic pots in the greenhouse.  When I've got some healthy looking stalks leave outside to harden off for a couple of days then bang into the ground with no special TLC.  Plenty of juicy cobs.  The only problem that I ever have is that they always seem to be ready for picking when I'm away on my two week summer holiday at the end of august, regardless of when I've planted them.  Is there any way of slowing the ripening process down?   

stompy

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 12:52 »
I grow mine in cell trays and water well just before transplanting.
I never give them any other TLC and usually get between 2 and 3 cobs per plant.
Just remove any extra cobs so the 2 that are left get all the neutrients  :tongue2:

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 11:45 »
I can't understand why there's any need to be precious about sweetcorn.  I've grown it for years.  Start it off in plastic pots in the greenhouse.  When I've got some healthy looking stalks leave outside to harden off for a couple of days then bang into the ground with no special TLC.  Plenty of juicy cobs.  The only problem that I ever have is that they always seem to be ready for picking when I'm away on my two week summer holiday at the end of august, regardless of when I've planted them.  Is there any way of slowing the ripening process down?   
Mine are always ready early sep and we eat them through to late sep but i ama lot further north than you,i dont put mine in the ground till the end of may.

xx
Sweetcorn Planting

Started by Celtic Eagle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 12:19
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Planting sweetcorn out

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 12:44
by Stevens706
xx
planting sweetcorn

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 18:08
by gavinjconway
xx
Planting out sweetcorn

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 09:18
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 40 queries.