Planting out Sweetcorn yet?

• 56 Replies

Nobbie

Re: Planting out Sweetcorn yet?
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2016, 13:10 »
Mine are only half the size they were this time last year. Not sure the season is going to be long enough to get matured cobs now  :unsure:

Were they sown outside? Mine sown in the greenhouse and planted out are looking pretty good despite the lack of sunshine.

Trikidiki

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2016, 15:30 »
Mine are currently chest high and the male flowers are just becoming visible down the 'tube'. Best looking plants I can remember growing. Let's just hope for some sunshine from now on so they can ripen well.

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2016, 15:45 »
Mine are only half the size they were this time last year. Not sure the season is going to be long enough to get matured cobs now  :unsure:

Were they sown outside? Mine sown in the greenhouse and planted out are looking pretty good despite the lack of sunshine.

No planted indoors and then out first week in June at about ten inches. I'm in the top end of North Yorkshire and it hasn't been great here.

Headgardener22

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 21:42 »
My sweetcorn plants are looking really strong but they're not flowering yet. Many things are definitely late and others have given up the ghost.

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2016, 22:29 »
 Ive been lucky my sweetcorn been out for a couple of months now and about 3ft high,
 going to try and post some pics
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 22:31 by wapello »
Colin

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2016, 22:32 »

LOOKS LIKED IVE MUCKED IT UP
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 14:54 by wapello »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2016, 21:43 »
Mine are also v small, Tracybutton  :(

You win some years, and lose others (if I say it often enough, I'll become philosophical about it  :D )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2016, 09:33 »
The male tassels on mine are just starting to make an appearance - that's good news from the timing point of view, but although the plants look strong they are only about 2' tall, which seems a tad short for this variety (Earlibird.)

Grew the same variety last year and the first cobs weren't ready until late September :ohmy:, and many just ran out of time to fully ripen.

Those that did make it were delicious though - will just have to cross fingers and hope that the weather is more sweetcorn-friendly than last year, especially at pollination time.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2016, 09:54 »
I've given up on trying to get success outdoors here in the Frozen North. I grow them in the polytunnel. Mine are about 8ft high and have been flowering for a couple of weeks. No sign of any cobs yet though

lettice

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2016, 15:21 »
My sweetcorn is doing very well this year.
I've grown Golden Bantam for many years now and always does well.
All the plants are a good five to six feet tall and plenty of flowering tassles started before the weekend.
I'm sure the heatwave that started today down here is going to give them a real big surge.

Last year I kept a few back and sort of stunted them in small pots and today will be pulling up half of the broad beans, so the stunted ones will go in there. There are still about 2.5 feet tall. Worked well last year and got loads of good quality sweetcorn in September and early October.
Only did it this way as wanted to use up the full packet and as sweetcorn takes up a lot of space, thought this was the best way.

Headgardener22

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2016, 17:57 »
I noticed male flowers just beginning to come through today. :D

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2016, 18:44 »
Mine are also v small, Tracybutton  :(

You win some years, and lose others (if I say it often enough, I'll become philosophical about it  :D )

Well they've put another couple of inches on in the last two days, so us Yorkshire folk might make it yet. Going to be a scorcher tomorrow so I'm hoping for a foot on by Friday    :D

xx
Planting out sweetcorn

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 09:18
by Sadgit
xx
Sweetcorn Planting

Started by Celtic Eagle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 12:19
by Celtic Eagle
xx
re: planting on sweetcorn

Started by rhythmvick on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 19:37
by Kristen
xx
Planting sweetcorn out

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 12:44
by Stevens706

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 36 queries.