too early to plant potato tubers?

• 40 Replies

strider84

• Experienced Member
too early to plant potato tubers?
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:37 »
Hi all,

We have had quite a bit of rain in the west midlands the ground is still quite wet.

Its my first year growing first earlies so just wanted everyones opinion on whether it is worth putting my first earlies in the ground yet or to wait until the ground has dried up a bit.

Many thanks

Matt
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 19:36 by JayG »

Steveharford

Re: to early to plant potato tubers?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 06:05 »
Hi Matt. I am also in West Midlands and my ground is far too wet at the moment as it is very clayish so not well draining so I can't walk on it right now. Also the soil is pretty cold. I have put some in pots and I am going to put a load in bags in the next few days.stored in the polytunnel.  That way they are getting the early start. They will keep us going until the ones in the ground are ready.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 06:09 »
It's not just a matter of the ground being too wet. You don't want the spuds coming up while there's still a risk of frost, 

I know that whenever you plant them you take your chances, but very early March is way too soon. Late March is plenty early enough.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 15:53 »
Good Friday, I usually start planting
who pinched me marrow?

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 16:19 »
i'm hoping to get some in the poly tunnel by the weekend, but the grounds been warming for a couple of weeks and will be protected over night  so shouldn't get any frost on them.

i'll be waiting at least a couple of weeks yet before thinking about putting any outside.

my soils well draining and hasn't been that wet all winter, just down to the temperatures being too low at night for me to plant outside.

Totty

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 17:22 »
The tendency is to get going way too soon, not only with spuds but everything. In a few weeks time everything will be growing so fast you can't keep up with it, until then, I appreciate what "quiet" time I have left and get everything ready for the big heave.

Totty

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 18:00 »
I put spuds in my gh in january took a look this morning they have come through about an inch so ill put bubble wrap over if it comes very cold or frost ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 21:22 by 3 allotments »
diggity dig dig

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 18:18 »

Good Friday is not a good guideline to use as it's date varies widely by about 4 weeks. It's late this year.

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 19:18 »
Good Friday is not a good guideline to use as it's date varies widely by about 4 weeks. It's late this year.

always start planting mine from Good Friday onwards, never had any major problems apart from when its early and I have forgotten to cover the tops from late frost, mind you with the excess water this year late planting maybe a bonus  ::)

Edited to clarify quote.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 19:20 by JayG »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 19:23 »

I know, but it was good enough for my Granddad so I'm honouring his memory!  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 19:31 »
considering I have 4 grand children, I need to keep up the tradition  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 19:39 by jondav14 »

DD.

• Global Moderator
Re: too early to plant potato tubers?
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 19:41 »
It was my grandfather, who was a little older than you, having been born in the 19th century who poo-pooed it!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 20:32 »
Ah, well those C19th folks, didn't keep up with the times ... the ones born just into the C20th, they were far more progressive and with it  ;) :tongue2:  :lol:

Strider, you can plant spuds any time from about mid/late March to into May, although the later you plant them, the less likely you are to get a full crop from any maincrop varieties, and the more likely they are to be at risk of late blight.

It depends on how wet / dry your soil is, and whether it's been recently warm or not.  If the ground is cold and wet, and remains so, then the tubers are at risk of rotting off.  However much Dave and I tease each other about Good Friday, it becomes about knowing your soil and local microclimate, and considering the weather you've had locally.  Spuds are quite forgiving as a general rule!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 20:50 »
I have my soil warming this week and drying slightly before my first few go in, in the next week or so. I cant wait for this so called spring LOL i will not be putting all my spuds in though, I am not that silly  ;)

digalotty

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 14:35 »
as mentioned the date is unimportant, its the conditions that need to be right,   i always look at the conditions around st patricks day and then i if mild weather has been warming the ground i may put them in deep but usually im a couple of weeks later.
it is important that the soil has had time to warm up a little before planting , if you put your hand in the soil and it feels very cold then the potato wont like it either ;)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

xx
Potato Tubers

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 14:09
by Ivor Backache
xx
potato tubers

Started by GAZBEE on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 18:20
by Kristen
xx
keeping potato tubers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 22:05
by gobs
xx
best place to get potato tubers from?

Started by moggy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 30, 2007, 20:41
by TRACKS

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 35 queries.