Hello from Eccleshall

• 7 Replies

cx40hero

Hello from Eccleshall
« on: June 24, 2019, 13:56 »
Hello all,

My name is David and as of yesterday I'm the proud owner of a small allotment in Eccleshall, Staffordshire.
Ive helped round my sisters plot in the past but this is the first time ive taken one on myself.
Its a tad unkept and overgrown at the moment  but hope fully it wont be to challenging to get it back into good order.
Being so late in the season im not sure how much ill be able to get in intime but im sure (with some advice), i'll be able to get some fresh veg out of the ground!

Im hoping to start clearing the plot this weekend so will be sure to take some pictures of my my aquasition :)

I'll need to run round all the charity shops on Saturday morning as I have no gardening tools what so ever!
I thought there would be a huge waiting list for a plot so was unprepared when they emailed back the next day and offered me one!!!

Wish me luck :)

David

ches

• Experienced Member
Re: Hello from Eccleshall
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 15:27 »
Hello all,

My name is David and as of yesterday I'm the proud owner of a small allotment in Eccleshall, Staffordshire.
Ive helped round my sisters plot in the past but this is the first time ive taken one on myself.
Its a tad unkept and overgrown at the moment  but hope fully it wont be to challenging to get it back into good order.
Being so late in the season im not sure how much ill be able to get in intime but im sure (with some advice), i'll be able to get some fresh veg out of the ground!

Im hoping to start clearing the plot this weekend so will be sure to take some pictures of my my aquasition :)

I'll need to run round all the charity shops on Saturday morning as I have no gardening tools what so ever!
I thought there would be a huge waiting list for a plot so was unprepared when they emailed back the next day and offered me one!!!

Wish me luck :)

David

Good Luck Dave,

I was in exactly the same position as you three weeks ago. As soon as i cleared enough space to plant something i got it in the ground.

3 weeks on I have runner beans, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, beetroot, tomatoes, chilli, melon and salad peppers all doing very well.

I have quite a few plants as gifts from my plot neighbours. Don't turn anything down.

All the best.

Ches
Ches

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 16:47 »
Wish you the best of luck David - don't try to do everything at once.

Clearing one patch and planting will get you started. If you look on this site it will give you advice about what to plant / sow in June and July. experiment a bit and, as has been said, anything you are given, plonk in the ground this year.

Its not too late for several crops and you might even consider looking our for some leek plants or purple sprouting as both crop at the end of autumn or into early spring.

Just relax and enjoy your new plot - getting it under control (and keeping it that way) for next spring might be your main aim at present... as well as trying out a few crops.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

cx40hero

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 16:56 »
Ive just had a started set of gardening tools from my baby sister, apparently they were my grandads and are older than me! Solid wood and quality steel, you cant beat it! Quick rub of linseed oil and im good to go :)

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 11:49 »
A warm wellcome to the forum David best of luck  with new plot
Alan :D

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 15:55 »
Welcome to the site, those tools sound fabulous
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 20:46 »
Hi and welcome aboard  :)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 22:19 »
Hello and welcome in.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 47 queries.