hen indecision

• 9 Replies

Lucy Danning

hen indecision
« on: January 10, 2008, 16:54 »
Hello,
I have been wanting to get some chickens for eggs & or eating for a while. I was last put off by avian flu but have now got new enthusiasm after watching Hugh F-W this week. After looking at hen houses & runs I am now loosing enthusiasm again! Apart from the prices I don't know where to start! I have a large garden next to fields, so do I let them go free or keep them in a run? I have a 2 year old so don't want him stood in chook poo all the time. One website I read said keep them in the run, they'll never know and another said let them out to become part of the family! So my first question is house & run or just house?? Many thanks!
 :?

Selkie

hen indecision
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 17:07 »
Hi Lucy :D

I'd say it's very much down to personal choice whether you keep them in a run or totally free-ranging, it would also depend on the location too.

Ours are in a large run as we live on a busy-ish road, and I don't want them roaming into our neighbours' gardens or the local school grounds (with is just up the road from us). If our garden was more secure I'd be tempted to leave them totally free-range; do you own the fields next to your garden -- would it be a problem if they strayed onto that land?

A run would probably be a good idea if you don't want your two year old walking in their poo, it's just a fenced off area of the garden so that doesn't cost much - just chicken wire (or fox-proof stuff) and fencing posts.

If you are anyway 'handy' you could convert a shed to make your own henhouse, or Wildeone on here is thinking about converting a rabbit hutch.

I do hope that you go ahead with getting hens, you really won't regret it and it will really enrich your life. Your two year old will love them too :D

I hope some of that is of some help :D

Louise

• Experienced Member
hen indecision
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 17:10 »
We got ours yesterday - i have done nothing but watch them all day. I have 2 boys 6 and 8 and they are so excited about it.
We built our own coop and run cost about £60 altogether. I plan to leave them in the run for a few day then let them have the run of the garden.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
hen indecision
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 18:41 »
My hens hav a run to live in which is secure against foxes, but I allow them out into the garden for an hour or two each day in the winter and longer during the summer.

You could also fence of a part of the garden to keep your child away from the poos  :wink:  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
hen indecision
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 20:16 »
Mine have a shed and a run, but they also get let out when I'm outside with them, open fields could indicate a fox problem IMHO a run would be better esp if there are foxes about, and your worry with their poo as they rather indiscriminate about where they do it ! :lol: I prefer a covered run if you can manage it.

Coops are easy enough to make if you have the basics saw, hammer, drill etc and an awful lot cheaper than buying one. Borrow a book form the library on chickens and housing, if they don't have one most can search other librarys and get one in for you for a small fee. A lot cheaper than buying a book, and nearly everything else you need to know you will probably find or ask on here. Try looking through the design and construction forum.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Foxy

hen indecision
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 21:02 »
hello Lucy! I am so glad you are thinking of having some chooks! They really will enrich your life in so many ways - nothing beats eating your own eggs :lol:  :lol: Firstly, don't be worried about avian flu - this site will give you the facts:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/notifiable/disease/ai/keptbirds/index.htm#biosecurity
We also have a large garden which on all sides has fields and a wood. We use electric poultry fencing to keep ours secure.
With regard to coops/henhouses - we have got a couple of whats called "lad sheds" from B&Q -  just put  in a pop hole and perches - they already have vermin proof ventilation and a lovely window  and at 3foot by four a fair size too!- I think they are selling them off cheap as well-so you might get one for under or around £100. (new they are £129)You could stick a small run to it say 8foot x 4foot which would be fine for a few hens to start with.We use this for our growers or new birds. You could then pop a couple of wheels and move it around the garden to fresh grass. Easy!!! If you want pics I can post them for you!! Good luck :lol:  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
hen indecision
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 21:17 »
Double clicked the submit button  :?:  :lol:  never mind only one now  :wink:

:oops:  well there will be in a minute  :lol:  :wink:

Ok whats going on !!!!

ness

• Experienced Member
hen indecision
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 21:25 »
Hi
I have converted a rabbit hutch into a chook house and my girls love it!  I only have 3 bantams and its a very large hutch so they actually,look a little lost in it.  If your planning on a few more I reckon a shed is your best bet.  I tell that to myself each time I bang my head cleaning the hutch out.
They free range at the mo as my kids aren't in the garden much but once the weather gets a bit better they will probably spend bit of time in their run to limit the amount of poo trodden around the house.  I do "poo pick" round the garden too which does help (thats sweeping up the chicken poo into a dustpan incase anyone was wondering :lol: )
Bird flu's just reared its ugly head down here  :( , fingerscrossed its contained.  
Ness

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
hen indecision
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 21:39 »
Quote from: "ness"

Bird flu's just reared its ugly head down here  :( , fingerscrossed its contained.  

Abbostbury Swannary in Dorset,  how far are you from there Ness  :?:

Lucy Danning

hen indecision
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 10:27 »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm a bit more encouraged now & shall be searching around for a shed I think!

xx
Help, newbie in indecision.

Started by barnabyr on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 21:17
by ness

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.