Paper shreddings as no-dig potato mulch?

• 6 Replies

Zippy

Paper shreddings as no-dig potato mulch?
« on: November 20, 2009, 16:54 »
Just thinking of what I can use along with lawn clippings (to balance out C-N) next year to block out the light when my no-dig potatoes start through and I thought of all those shredded invoices and letterheads with my personal details on them.

Does anyone think this might make a useful mat that seed potatoes can sprout through or would it just make a soggy mess. I know about the Carbon-Nitrogen ratio; not a problem as this would not be in the soil and put on the compost heap once it has done its job.

I wonder if I would find agents from the FBI on my plot trying to piece personal data together with sellotape?  8)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Paper shreddings as no-dig potato mulch?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 17:00 »
I think it'd be a nightmare to keep in one place - wind will blow it all over the place and you'd effectively be littering  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

noshed

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 17:23 »
I use it under me strawbs - can be a bit messy until it rains. Worms get most of it by the end of the summer.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 19:26 »
Zippy, why not get some weed control membrane and plant through it? It will do a better job and is re-usable. :D

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 19:41 »
I have used shredded paper with my spuds but only mixed in with the soil, which may go against your no-dig policy. However any bits left lying on top will blow everywhere on the merest hint of a breeze. The answer, for me at least, was to water them copiously to ensure they were fully sodden only then would they stay put. I found only watering the top layer would not ensure they stayed were I wanted them if the wind was to strong. By the following spring they had all gone, decayed and/or dragged down by the worms I guess. Curiously there was an amount of thin plastic strips around, which I reckon where the remnants from the address viewing window in some of the envelopes.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 19:45 »
I'm not too worried about weed control as some weeds are useful and others go into the compost so they become useful. Because I adopt the no-dig principle with my potatoes I need a light suppressing layer as the new potatoes start to form and sunlight can get through to the soil layer.

I was thinking about a combination of paper shreddings and lawn mowings to create a mulch. Littering is not a problem as my plot is well away from any residential areas and neighbouring plots are well defined with path levels, hedges etc.

stentman: thank you for your useful note on watering them down. I think I would also use a good helping of compost bin material to weigh them down and add to the mulch as well.

I noticed another plot holder using them to mulch and cushion her squashes last year and by harvest they had also been pulled down by worms to leave a nice tilth for next year without the need of digging.

Any no-diggers out there see any cons or pros with my idea?

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 20:07 »
I'm not too worried about weed control as some weeds are useful and others go into the compost so they become useful. Because I adopt the no-dig principle with my potatoes I need a light suppressing layer as the new potatoes start to form and sunlight can get through to the soil layer.

I`m not talking about using the fabric primarily as a weed suppressant, more as a LIGHT suppressant, which is what you say you want. :lol: :lol: :lol: :tongue2: :D :D

xx
Paper shreddings and veg peelings

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 20:32
by Madame Cholet
xx
Shredded paper as mulch

Started by snails2go on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 14:06
by PembsPanther
xx
Can I use Shredded paper as a mulch?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 21:00
by Yana
xx
Potatos in with shredded paper? What mulch?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 20:10
by WG.

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 37 queries.