Baby leeks

• 5 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Baby leeks
« on: November 18, 2009, 15:11 »
Next year I want to harvest baby leeks and full grown ones.  I usually raise them in plugs.  Should I plant them in separate rows, or all close together, then harvest alternate ones as babies and leave the rest to mature -  or will that create too much root disturbance to the leeks I leave?  What would be the recommended spacing?

zazen999

Re: Baby leeks
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 15:51 »
I do this, and put them relatively close together - about a hand's width apart. Also, I sow over a longer period [I still have yet to put some into their final positions but they seem to be growing nicely and pushing themselves apart]; as long as you dig down around the leeks that you are removing, it shouldn't disturb the surrounding leeks too much. I tend to put leeks in all over the place, where ever there is room as the beds are cleared.

I use something like this to release the leek from the thick clay it gets grown in.

LINK
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 16:43 by Aunt Sally »

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 22:20 »
I use something like this to release the leek from the thick clay it gets grown in.

That looks like a really useful tool.  It's out of stock according to the website but no doubt will be available next spring.

Thanks for the advice - I will certainly grow more leeks next year.  Like spring onions, it seems like you can put them in any odd space which goes along with my philosphy and contrasts well with my allotment neighbour who has a more military approach :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 23:01 »
>it seems like you can put them in any odd space which goes along with my philosphy and contrasts well with my allotment neighbour who has a more military approach

Ah, but barbarella, leeks are really soldiers in disguise, after all they wear helmets when they germinate.

SS

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 23:12 »
as well as my normal leeks, I also harvest them as baby leeks. But my favourite is when I sow a packet over a smallish area and put them in a salad when they are about 5" tall and thin. ie) chive-like.

A great flavour and a few in a salad make a great difference.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 11:37 »
That sound lovely Jonajo  :)  I will definitely give that a go.

xx
Baby Leeks

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 17:19
by LilacSandy
xx
baby leeks

Started by veggirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 11:20
by veggirl
xx
What should i use to feed my baby leeks ?

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 23:20
by Lenny59
xx
baby bio

Started by potatogrower on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 19:12
by potatogrower

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 39 queries.