sulphur candle or garlic green candle ?

• 7 Replies

Muls

• Experienced Member
sulphur candle or garlic green candle ?
« on: January 31, 2013, 19:25 »
Opinions please ... I normally use a sulphur candle to de bug my greenhouse. Has anybody tried one of these green candles, think they contain garlic ? good thing about them plants survive them.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: sulphur candle or garlic green candle ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 22:23 »
I cleanse my greenhouse with Jeyes followed by a sulphur candle every year once the former plants have gone so I don't have to worry about the plants being killed off.
Never heard of the other one?? ???

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:57 »
The retailers of garlic candles seem a bit reticent to explain how their product works, so I can only assume they use the fact that garlic itself is quite sulphur rich, so they probably work in a similar way to sulphur candles.

The fact that plants can be left in place during the treatment is either welcome news or suggests that garlic may not be as effective, but I can't find any evidence one way or the other.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 10:06 »
 Mmmm - I'll give one a try if I get botrytis during the summer again - that will be a good test of their effectiveness  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:19 »
If you get botrytis Mum I suspect you'd need more than a garlic candle to sort you out!  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:25 »
  :tongue2:   :lol:

Eblana

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:13 »
Folks,

I have a brand new greenhouse that only went up in November should I do anything e.g. Sulphur Candles etc before I start using it?

I also have a Poly tunnel - I haven't had any issues with it from a bug point of view and I am wondering should I use Sulphur Candles in it?

E

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:34 »
I certainly wouldn't bother using one in a new greenhouse.

If you had something like botrytis affecting a well-used one I suppose it would provide a bit more peace of mind.
I left my tomato plants in far too long last year and got botrytis spores by the million so I'm still thinking about it, although it would be as well as rather than instead of a good hose down and washing with Jeyes fluid solution.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 40 queries.