Sticking plastic to wood

• 10 Replies

nwalch

• Experienced Member
Sticking plastic to wood
« on: April 07, 2011, 21:49 »
I've built a box out of cut up pallets and fence posts (will posts pics when finished) and I want to line the inside with old compost bags before filling it with soil. The plan is to grow carrots in it (more space then barrels). My staple gun has packed in so any suggestions on the best glue (or other tricks) to stick the compost bags to the top of the box (mainly whilst I fill it with soil but to stop soil getting down the back afterwards). I was thinking of exterier grade white glue or maybe No Nails?

Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Sticking plastic to wood
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 21:57 »
I don't know if any glue would stick, but what I would do is to try to stick the compost bags to each other with something like the polytunnel repair tape which is quite strong or double sided carpet tape, then along the top, get some battens and nail the battens down with the compost bags in between the battens and your 'box', if you know what I mean??

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 22:29 »
Go and buy a new staple gun! :tongue2: :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 22:37 »
Go and buy a new staple gun! :tongue2: :lol:
Have to agree, after all it's only to fix plastic bags to wood.  Any alternative would probably cost almost as much as buying one.  Easier to bite the bullet and after the job is done you still have a working staple gun.  ::)
Cheese makes everything better.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 22:51 »
If you still have staples left and they are the heavy duty ones, just use a small hammer to fix them in place.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 22:55 »
Any leftover staples I have are fired at my neighbours unused birdbath in his unused garden.  3 points for a direct hit. :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 23:34 »
Any leftover staples I have are fired at my neighbours unused birdbath in his unused garden.  3 points for a direct hit. :lol:

You could try taking over the unused garden, think if your neighbour does not object for 10 years the land becomes yours!   8)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05 »
It's housing association property but I have often thought about asking him if I could use it.  Trouble is, he's a bit creepy. :unsure:  Besides, I would then have to clear all those staples. :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 10:21 »
Galvanised clout nails (as used for fixing roofing felt to sheds) are cheap and will outlast the rest of the box!

Available in different sizes; 1/2" would probably be enough for what you want them for.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 10:26 »
It's housing association property but I have often thought about asking him if I could use it.  Trouble is, he's a bit creepy. :unsure:  Besides, I would then have to clear all those staples. :lol:

You could apply to the housing association about it, they should clear the garden (including your staples) if you let them know it is not being looked after.  I know our local council do this for people who are unable to look after their gardens due to old age or ill health.  It is their responsibility as Landlords after all.   :dry:

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 10:35 »
I think any glue you use will not last long, silicon mastic will stick most things to most other things but a batten or similar nailed along is still favourite.

xx
What wood to use

Started by Eblana on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 05:55
by Sideshoot
xx
Using creosoted wood

Started by Flatcat on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 20:14
by arugula
xx
Wood Preservative

Started by Bodger on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 09:24
by compostqueen
xx
Wood Preservative

Started by mumofstig on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2024, 21:18
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 39 queries.