Wheel chair friendly lottie

• 5 Replies

Beetroot queen

« on: September 11, 2008, 18:21 »
We have decided that when we get the call we are going to look at making our lottie wheelchair friendly. :D  

My grandad uses a chair and would love to help and my mum is also wheelchair bound 80% of the time, my husband has a walking problem but rather than see this as a problem we are going to make it into a family challenge.

Both could walk a short way onto the plot, with helpers at both sides from the car and the site we are looking at is right next to a carpark and is very flat.

My question is has anyone seen any designs for beds, paths etc etc that we could look at. :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 19:10 »
Sounds like raised beds might be something to look at but rather than the few inches they usually are go for a couple of feet. This would make it possible for those in wheelchairs to weed, harvest or plant while sat in the chair without having to bend right over without falling out. The downside is of course the increased expense and effort to get raised beds that high. You can buy them but I bet you could find the materiels for loads less. Finding someone to do the building might be harder :lol:  And of course you then have to fill them with something. Bet someone near you is giving away free manure, you'd just have to transport it.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 19:17 »
The building isnt an issue dad is an ex builder and my hubby on a good day is very handy at making some, he just needs extra rest time inbetween :D

My mum really wants to help she has never been able to garden properly and even pulling a few weeds up would make her happy  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:54 »
Hi BQ.

I presume you'd need hard paths (slabs,bricks) rather than gravel or wood planking.
As kate says, raised beds made with some hefty timbers as high as you can.
Soem adapted tools might be useful too. Hoe or fork with shortened handles, etc.
I've no experience of wheelchair use so it's tricky to imagine the difficulties involved. But it must be rewarding to actually take part rather than just watch.
Good luck to you.

Rob 8)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:59 »
we have two very long, waist high raised beds on our group plot which are great for sowing, weeding and planting but not so great for watering. Swings and roundabouts I suppose. They are very productive though and we've had fantastic results.

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:04 »
For watering, could you get a small water tank rigged up above the bed and a perforated hose comign down with a tap in between ??

I feel a wallace and grommet contraption coming on  :shock:

More cheese Grommet ?? :D

Rob 8)

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 38 queries.