Preparing a raised bed for asparagus grown from seed

• 6 Replies

weirdsowing

I have grown two varieties of asparagus from seed Martha Washington and Marte F1. I have been surprised at the germination rate and have 50 & 11 seedlings respectively, they will need to go out to final positions around June/July according to the seed packet. I would appreciate any tips (instructions) to give to my husband on the construction and preparation of our new asparagus bed. We have a full compost bin 1m x 1m started last July that we are planning to use in the bed.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Preparing a raised bed for asparagus grown from seed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:35 »
I kept mine in 2L pots until the following Spring, and then planted out. That enabled me to uncoil the roots, and lay them out "spider leg style" on a couple of handfuls of sharp sand, much as would be the case with 1-year-old crowns.

This is their second year for sowing (so not picking until next year) and the plants seem pretty massive to me - around 10 "ferns" per plant.

But I have no idea if that is better, or not, than just planting out.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03 »
I agree with Kristen;  I did exactly the same with mine but put them out in late autumn rather than spring.  Mine is an unknown variety raised from seeds given to my by my lotty neighbour.  he didn't know what variety it was either, but I was also surprised at how fast they germinated and how many survived.

When I dug the bed I only dug the first row so that I could leave a heap of soil behind them to earth up with in spring as they came through.  later this year in autumn I'll put another row behind the one I have put in.

One thing I would say is mine are effectively year 2 ferns now, but they will still be too weedy to harvest next year in year 3 so it will be four years from germination before I can think about eating mine but that could be because I haven't added any organic matter other than what went in under the roots (under a layer of soil, of course).

Think about the site you are putting them in too;  the stems are not very strong once the ferny leaves start to grow and a strong wind will blow them over and will affect your crop for the following year so site them somewhere sheltered where the wind doesn't blow straight through.

weirdsowing

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 20:41 »
Thanks for the advice - I am hoping that the fence behind the bed will give some shelter from the wind. As for planting out I think I will wait and see how they are doing before making a decision.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 20:47 »
My raised beds with 2yr old crowns has 2 support strings running through it to support the ferns, they are already about 3ft high and would not have got through the winds we have had without them. Cant wait until next yr mmmm  :)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 21:03 »
There's an article about asparagus on the main website

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/aparagus/index.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

weirdsowing

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 21:21 »
Thanks Yorkie

xx
Planting Asparagus (currently in pots, grown from seed)

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 08:09
by Kristen
xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
PREPARING ASPARAGUS BED

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 22:04
by mrsparkle
xx
Preparing raised container bed

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 22:33
by kermit

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 39 queries.