Is my manure good?

• 3 Replies

gathsman

• Enjoying The Good Life!
Is my manure good?
« on: January 05, 2013, 22:30 »
Hi all! I took delivery of quite a large amount of farmyard manure last oct! My question is, how can I tell if its good stuff?? What should I be looking for? The stuff I got seems to have lots of stones, bits of rope and it also appears to be quite muddy! Now I know they probably had to scrape it up off the farmyard floor but is this normal! I paid £35 for it and there was quite a lot so not really complaining! I look at some other manure heaps and can see actual round balls of dung! Mine doesn't really have this, it does have big clumps containing straw! Did not know if this varied depending on which animal it came from! Any comments would be a great help! Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Is my manure good?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 23:32 »
Farmyard manure will have all sorts in it, it's from the farmyard heap where everything gets chucked!
A different sort of manure is stable manure which is just straw or wood shavings/chips and horse manure, so will look completely different.
The OBs on the plot seem to think that they all work just as well, and there's always a big rush for whatever gets delivered  :blink:

SG6

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 23:35 »
If you look at dung then cow tends to be more sort of a splat, whereas horse is a more solid round stuff. I could suspect that you have cow manure not the more solid horse manure from what you have described.

Horse tends to be more solid as they do not chew the grass over several times whereas cows do. Chewing the cud.

The presence of mud would also to me indicate cows rather then horse.

Both are manure however.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 23:37 »
Depends on the animal that produced it.
If it came from a crew yard which house cattle, then it is un likely you would see lumps of poo, but you would get quite a claggy mix of very soggy clumps of straw glued together with brown stuff!!!! It might also appear muddy. That sort would also be more likely to have other bits in it, particularly as it would be scraped out with a tractor.
Horse manure on the other hand tends to be a mix of approximately golf ball size lumps and straw or shavings. This tends to be a drier looking mix and probably easier to shift around by the fork or shovel full.
How big is a large amount? Here abouts it can cost up to £100 per ton for rotted manure delivered, average price is between £20-£40 per ton, but you have to dig it out yourself and take it away.
I'm lucky I can get it for free.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Old manure a good thing?

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 21:16
by tode
question
anyone good at mathsand manure

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 08:28
by Zippy
xx
Was green manure a good idea??

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 08:38
by SMD66

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 40 queries.