eggs?

• 14 Replies

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
eggs?
« on: May 06, 2010, 21:07 »
i have 2 12 week old light sussex and 2 12 week old black rock and 1 19 week old light sussex. had them for 1 week now. when should i expect to get eggs? anyone got any ideas. i'm so excited keep checking every morning and night with no luck. thanks
1 dog -Chloe 1 cat - Oscar 2 hamsters - Flo and Tinkerbell 3 ferrets - Charlie, chip and rupert 3 light sussex - Madge, Henrietta and lucy-lou 2 black rocks - Peggy and Betty 1 puppy on the way i'm not mad i'm in love. :)

Kate and her Ducks

Re: eggs?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 21:19 »
You've got a while to wait, they usually start laying about 24 weeks, give or take.

Best egg you will ever have though.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 21:23 »
With the black rock being a hybrid, she may start laying at about 18 weeks if you are lucky, nearly all my Babcocks did.  But my Light Sussex didn't start to lay until they were 29 weeks +

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 21:46 »
i can't wait. will keep you posted i will want to tell everyone wen i get my first one thanks.
Just one more question. when i open the coop up i always find that most of them are sleeping in the nesting boxes. am i right in thinking that they shouldn't be doing this. i have seen them perch so i know they know how to do it. someone has mentioned blocking the nesting boxes off at night to encourage them to perch.is this the correct way?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:01 »
my blackrock was 24 weeks before she laid her first egg so you have quite a few weeks yet, but just think how excited you will be when she does lay  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

cheriton

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 20:20 »
My girls are 23/24 weeks now and Bhuna who is a Mendlesham Blue laid her first egg yesterday and another today :D :D :D
The other 2 A Mendlesham Amber and a Fenning Black still have pink combs and wattles so no sign from those 2 yet lol.

Don't worry I was just the same looking for eggs everyday then yesterday boom, I only went to poo pick and there it was...............

It won't be long now :D :D :D

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 21:14 »
ye hopefully not long but worth the wait. just enjoying watching them at the moment (is tht wrong?) they are so funny all have their own personalities and it's only took them a week to realise me going to the coop means food. clever girls. lol. going to add an extra 7ft of run on for them tomorrow.

cheriton

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 21:23 »
It is so funny I find that I am running to my shed (as my freezers are in there) as they make so much noise when they see me. I was worried about complaining neighbours but so far so good ;).  When I put the washing out I have to turn my back to them or I get the dawn chorus lol they are so comical :) 

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 21:25 »
mine dn't make tht much noise at the moment but they are young still and i've only had them a week. i'm sure they will make up for it.

cheriton

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 21:33 »
They sure will lol mine were quite quiet initially lulling me into a false sense of security with the neighbours. Now Bhuna makes so much noise if she wasn't laying i would think she was a cockerel  :) It isn't constant though just when they see me and think they are getting goodies

TeaPots

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 00:59 »
i can't wait. will keep you posted i will want to tell everyone wen i get my first one thanks.
Just one more question. when i open the coop up i always find that most of them are sleeping in the nesting boxes. am i right in thinking that they shouldn't be doing this. i have seen them perch so i know they know how to do it. someone has mentioned blocking the nesting boxes off at night to encourage them to perch.is this the correct way?

Yes, it is best to teach them to perch. you could close off the nest box before they go off to bed. You can also gently lift the sleepy girls onto the perch every night for a few nights...they will learn, and it is really worth it in the long run.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 10:47 »
When they start squatting as you approach them it's a sign they are ready to start laying.

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 22:01 »
i've also read in a magazine i brought that if you check the distance between the pelvic bones it can tell you if they are close to laying. has anyone tried this? as i'm new to this i'm a bit unsure about holding them and not hurting them.

TeaPots

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 22:06 »
yup, i do this if I buy any, sit them comfy along te palm of your hand, and you can feel for their pelvic bones with index and middle fingers. 1 finger apart you know they are young, and you are not being palmed of with an oldie, 2 fingers = ready to lay, or laying.  :ohmy:

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 12:04 »
we tried to do this on the weekend with our oldest. problem was we don't know what were looking or feeling for. and my partner just got pecked and scratched as i tried to check. (we was hurting her just dn't think she liked it. x

xx
First Eggs

Started by Chicken_Lover on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 18:23
by ANHBUC
xx
How many eggs??

Started by mummychick on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 11:29
by orchardlady
xx
4 Eggs already!!! : )

Started by Dawnuss on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 07:44
by tosca100
xx
how many eggs?

Started by crowndale on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 18:00
by crowndale

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.