Quail Forums

• 20 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Quail (guinea fowl, turkeys, geese, ducks etc) Forums
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 10:41 »
I would love ducks as well Kate, thinking of getting Muscovy though as the hens are noisy enough without any help from a duck.   

Did I read that one of your quail hatched her own chicks last year?  How did they get on and how many males/females did you have?

(There we are joyfull, have changed my subject line so as not to exclude anyone.)   :D :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:55 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Quail Forums
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 10:43 »
see this chat has already changed into a duck and quail post  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 22:32 »
Yes, once of my quail sat stubbornly on eggs and hatched a little clutch in October! Unfortunately at day 3 something happened overnight panicking them all and she seemed to abandon them and some had managed to get through the weld mesh.
I came down in the morning to find 6 tiny frozen corpses and was so upset I just went back to bed , blaming myself for not bringing them into the house but she had seemed like such a solid Mum.
I went out them put them away and one of them gave the tiniest gasp. I have never seen more dead looking creature and it's breathing rate was about 4 a minute.
Rushed into the house with it in my hands, breathing on it to try and warm it up. Yell for the OH to get me a hot water bottle so I could rest it on that while I got a box, made up some honey water and general resuscitation kit etc.

OH thought I was making a bit of a fuss and should just put it under the grill while I got sorted!!! He still insists it was a reasonable suggestion!

Anyway despite looking mostly dead he picked up with heat and honey water and mum even took him back. They lived in the spare room till he was 4 weeks and fully feathered and almost fully grown. He is now the head (well only) boy in my group and although a little smaller than I would expect is a happy and, ahem, active boy.

I feel awful for the little ones I lost and although brooding outside is possible in terms of mum keeping them warm I have learnt my lesson in terms of the unpredictable nature of the rest of the world and how small a gap they can get through.
Have learnt my lesson and will always brood them in controlled circumstances in the future.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

ANHBUC

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 23:47 »
That was one lucky quail that you rescued.  How old was his mum?  Everywhere you read about quail they say they rarely go broody. 

I am hoping one of my ladies will oblige but know it is a long shot.  I don't want to incubate as I have none of the equipment or knowledge so might get a bantam hen for a broody.  Have read that Seramas make a good broody and they are really small.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 08:28 »
I was very surprised too and it was a silly time of year to go broody too! She was a year old. Never had any of the others show the slightest inclination to go broody.

ANHBUC

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 17:16 »
Pity her young girls did not make it as it might have been hereditary.  Hopefully in the spring she might oblige again.  It is because they have been bred in captivity and their eggs taken and incubated for years that they have lost their natural instinct.

Some of my girls are not well pleased when I collect their eggs so fingers crossed.

xx
Quail.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 20:14
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Quail Chicks

Started by animal mad on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 21:24
by animal mad
xx
Quail Mischief!

Started by Mulberry1990 on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 21:53
by orchardlady
clip
Quail chicks

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

23 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 22:57
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.