mother hen is itchy!

• 1 Replies

Ched

mother hen is itchy!
« on: July 04, 2008, 14:14 »
We have a mother hen who is now the proud owner of four, week-old chicks. She was shut in one of our stables while she sat on the eggs and now she is scratching herself a lot. She is now on grass in a house and run.
Can I sprinkle her - and/or the nest - with louse powder or will it affect the chicks?
Also, at what age can she rejoin the other chickens safely? All our chickens are in at night and free range by day.
Hoping one of you experienced keepers can answer my questions.
Thanks Ched
Ched

Foxy

mother hen is itchy!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 14:28 »
I would change all her bedding in her new house and give the house a clean then sprinkle diatom.
On the broody I would give her a sprinkling of powder but in the morning so the young chicks dont inhale the dust when they sit under her wings. I have given a little dab of powder to young chicks and they have been fine, thats just my opinion though
The thing is if you have red mite in her henhouse they could easily kill her  chicks and her. If you shine a torch at night into the henhouse you can see very slow moving mites the size of pinheads. If you find any would be tempted to move her elsewhere with her chicks until you clear the house of mite. If she just has a few fleas (sesame shaped light brown)or lice, (check the vent area for eggst)he diatom will easily get rid of those, or perhaps a few squirt of frontline spray if you can get hold of it just to the mum.
Aunty has a very good sticky for parasites which you may find helpful.. :lol:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5250

Gotta go, feel itchy myself now! :?  :lol:

xx
Does moulting make them itchy?

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 15:44
by jinty1911
xx
Mother Hen

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 16:15
by joyfull
xx
Ducklings mother hen

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 18:02
by EJCTM
xx
adopted mother :)

Started by Danielle280 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 14:19
by muntjac

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.