Worried...Please advise

• 9 Replies

LottieLotto

Worried...Please advise
« on: June 08, 2009, 22:42 »
I'm worried now  ???

This afternoon i finally found a friend for Maisie duck and my daughter took me to buy her and bring her home (she, like Maisie might be a he).

Maisie doesnt seem to like Coco our new baby duck, and i'm worried. She doesnt seem to be hurting Coco but she quite often darts at her and attempts to grab the back of her neck till we say a firm "NO" and gently but swiftly ease her away.
My worry is when we go to bed tonight and we leave them alone downstairs. Do i put Coco's towel-lined shoe box inside a cat carrier to keep her seperate from Maisie?
Baby Coco is approximately 2 weeks old and Maisie almost 4 week old and just starting to get her quack.

Coco follows Maisie around more often than not or she likes to be near her but Maisie scares her. She copies everything that Maisie does. If Maisie stretches her left leg then so does Coco, and if Maisie stretches her right leg, Coco does too. Coco tries to get on Maisie's back, like baby ducklings do with their mothers. Coco thinks that Maisie is her mum. Maisie hasnt a clue whats going on when she tries to hitch a ride. Maisie's mum is me  ::) she'll never know what its like to have a real mother duck so she doesn't know what to do, or what the heck Coco is doing. She's only four weeks old so still a baby herself. 
Coco was born in an incubator and hand reared from hatching, she has siblings and they all lived outside from birth in a very clean top floor of a rabbit hutch at night (bottom floor was occupied by bunnies). During the day they were in a clean small cage with a lil pond in. It was very nice and they were well cared for but the owner was wanting to sell them all eventually. I bought one on the advice of some friends on here, it was awful splitting her from her siblings, and all of them so young and motherless. It makes me wonder.. are we right to do this. To interfere with a baby ducks upbringing and unwittingly tame them. Maisie has gained some independence with considerable effort from me but it doesn't sit easy with me that she comes to me like clockwork at 8 and 11.30pm for a snuggle. I consider this to be special time and feel privilaged to know my Maisie but this isn't natural is it?

Please don't anybody tell me that i should have got more than one ducking. Don't make me feel guilty. We really can only have 2 ducks..those who know me better on here know that i have 5 chucks and now 2 ducks, all of which were unwanted by me, but my husband wanted them and now i love them all and wouldnt be parted from them for the world.
We can't have anymore ducklings i wouldn't be able to cope lol - she laughs desperately :wacko:

If anyone can help me i'd be grateful

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Worried...Please advise
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 22:51 »
just give them time, as I said before I know nothing about ducks only having chickens but assume that masie is just showing her whos the boss, and also as she is a baby herself being a bit unsure of what to do. The main thing is to make sure coco is warm enough as she is very very young. Hopefully before long they will be the best of friends. If masie wont let her snuggle have you got a soft toy for coco to snuggle upto for tonight? Tomorrow is another day and things may well be different by tomorrow night. Somebody with duck experience may give you some better advice, but believe me you have done the best thing for Masie xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Vember

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 22:51 »
Hi LL

Don't panic  :)

I had the same problem when I fetched Buddy & Co back and they joined Gabby & Rd,  Gabby would rush over to Buddy and chase them all over the place. Looked quite nasty :( But no harm was done :)

That first night I put them all in bed together there was a bit of barging out of the way but nothing nasty, next morning an odd scuffle but nothing like the previous day and by bed time the second night all were friends :D

It's just a matter of them getting used to each other, i'm sure by this time tomorrow things will have calmed down and by the end of the week if not sooner they'll be inseparable :D

Sarah :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:27 »
Hang in there, they will settle down in no time at all. Sometimes you just need to sit it out and let them get on with it! Probably harder for you than either of them.  ;)
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:07 »
So theyre just like chickens then  :D, hope things went ok for you all last night LL.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 10:02 »
I'm really pleased you've managed to find her a companion !

Now, you know the law around here -  PICTURE please   :D

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 11:37 »
arrh bless, glad things are working out for you, not bad to say you didn't want chooks or ducks in the first place - looks like you're addicted as us lot now  :D See we get you all in the end.

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:01 »
fill up the bath with a little tepid water, then let them play together! ;)

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 13:01 »
did you get a photo of them together in the bath? Seem to remember my mum did that to me and my brother when we were little  :lol:

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 19:43 »
How are maisie and coco doing, have things settled down now?
joy xx

xx
I'm still worried

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:54
by kimT
xx
Ok, i am really worried now!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 13:46
by bedifferent
xx
Am a bit worried

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 21:04
by bantam novice
xx
should i be worried??????

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 20:27
by dawnie77

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 37 queries.