Planting Out

• 19 Replies

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Planting Out
« on: May 02, 2010, 13:13 »
I was all set to plant out my broad beans today, and OH is currently clearing the bed in preparation (he has been using the bed as a holding area for some of the garden plants whilst he makes new beds). However, I have just looked at the forecast for the next few days and there are some worrying times when the temp is dropping to -1 and it is a very chilly day today.

My broad beans and courgette plants (not to mention the french beans which are looking very triffid like) are practically busting out of their newspaper pots - is it safe to plant them out yet or should I really hold fire until the weather warms up again?

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
Re: Planting Out
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 13:22 »
I would hang fast till after the weekend,next week looks alot better  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 15:45 »
Before you plant anything in the big outside world get it accustomed to the conditions...

When the weather isn't disgusting put the plants outside during the day and bring them in each evening. Bit by bit they will be "hardened off" and ready for life in the open. Sticking them straight out would be too much of a shock and set them back.

Most of the plants you mention will not tolerate frost so you will need to be cautious.

The broad beans on the other hand will be fine... but harden them off first and pick a day when there's not too much wind to batter them around.

A bit of patient tlc is needed I think  ;)

Good luck!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 18:04 »
Thanks all - my plants have been having trips out during the day (and back indoors at night) for the last week, so they are gradually getting used to the big outdoors. However, I put them out this morning and then brought them in pretty sharpish when I realised just how cold it was. No point in being that cruel!!

I should know about the weather at this time of year - my daughter was born on 13 May and all through her childhood, I made one new cotton/flimsy party dress and had her thick Christmas dress as a backup in case the weather was cold   ::) Think I might leave it until nearer the 13th in that case. Going to have to put canes in my beans in the newspaper pots soon though ......  :tongue2:

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 18:35 »
Plonk those broad beans out anytime soon... they'll be fine.  ;)

Sorry if I was "teaching granny (no reference to anyone's age) to suck eggs" with reference to hardening off... it's just that not everyone thinks of it when they start off.  ;)

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 19:43 »
Plonk those broad beans out anytime soon... they'll be fine.  ;)

Sorry if I was "teaching granny (no reference to anyone's age) to suck eggs" with reference to hardening off... it's just that not everyone thinks of it when they start off.  ;)

Don't worry - "not teaching granny to suck eggs" here. I have learned about hardening off plants by reading posts on this forum so that is how I knew what to do!!! You are a very helpful lot!  ;) All I have to worry about now are my French Beans. They went outside for a trip today, and when I brought them back in the wind had snapped one of them off - darn!

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 19:46 »
Ooooh! just had an idea though. If I plant the broad beans out and it looks like frost any time, presumably i can just protect them with a cut off lemonade bottle? Or maybe I am more at risk from the pigeons!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 19:55 »
Ooooh! just had an idea though. If I plant the broad beans out and it looks like frost any time, presumably i can just protect them with a cut off lemonade bottle? Or maybe I am more at risk from the pigeons!

1) Broad beans are hardy, and will be fine if you have hardened them off.

2) There is little personal risk from pigeons (unless you try to shoot them and are a particularly bad shot!)  :lol:

Seagulls are a completely different proposition!  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 19:57 »
Fantastic! Thank you! (am a rotten shot so the pigeons are safe and, therefore, so am I!)

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 00:34 »

1) Broad beans are hardy, and will be fine if you have hardened them off.

2) There is little personal risk from pigeons (unless you try to shoot them and are a particularly bad shot!)  :lol:

Seagulls are a completely different proposition!  :(

As I said: "Plonk those broad beans out anytime soon... they'll be fine."

Seagulls? Really??  ???  ???  :blink:

The only problem with the things around here is they think our dormer roof is part of a cliff face so hop around on it far too early in the morning... three doors along they appear to be making a nest  :tongue2:

Seagull soup recipe anyone?  :lol: 

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 08:35 »
Will plant broad beans out today then! They are looking pretty sturdy so should be OK.

My courgette seedlings are looking pretty good too but the packet says to wait 4 weeks before planting out. Does that sound about right? They have been up for 2 weeks now.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 10:16 »
still too cold for courgettes I'm afraid  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:31 »
[Seagulls? Really??  ???  ???  :blink:

The only problem with the things around here is they think our dormer roof is part of a cliff face so hop around on it far too early in the morning... three doors along they appear to be making a nest  :tongue2:

Seagull soup recipe anyone?  :lol: 

"The Birds" (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963)  :)

(Can almost believe it possible after being mobbed by seagulls outside Rick Stein's chippie in Padstow a few years ago; one or two of them even tried to get into the car as we scoffed our fish and chips as fast as we could!)   :wacko:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 18:46 »
Courgette plants hate the cold ... I don;t plant mine out until 1st June (only sowed them yesterday ...)

I would pot-on into larger pots and molly-coddle them a while longer yet. (Putting them outside on nice warm days will a) get them used to outdoors temperature / wind etc., but also b) slow down their growth rate.

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 19:23 »
Can almost believe it possible after being mobbed by seagulls outside Rick Stein's chippie in Padstow a few years ago; one or two of them even tried to get into the car

Don't talk to me about seagulls tried to kill me and the dog in garden last year, just missed the poor dogs head.  We were not even eating anything was hanging out the washing, dog legged and I screamed, then got angry and went out with my broom and an attitude.  LOL
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 19:26 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Planting out

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 09:42
by DD.
xx
DD - when is pea planting day?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 21:21
by wozza
xx
Planting Out

Started by AnnJohnston on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
planting out

Started by thatruddyvicar on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 21:35
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 37 queries.